Not Ready to “Adult”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

My entire life I wanted to be a teacher. When I was in elementary school I would sit my American Girl dolls up and pretend to teach them. I had practice teaching books, a chalkboard, a pointer, and much more! I loved buying school supplies, and going to school was more of a hobby than a requirement.

As I grew up, I’ll admit I hit the “school sucks” phase. But as much as I despised going to school certain days it didn’t mean I didn’t care nor did it mean I didn’t want to be a teacher.

Throughout college I have had the pleasure of observing a seventh grade class at Harrison Morton Middle School, located in Center City Allentown, as well as a ninth grade class at Fleetwood High School, located in Fleetwood. Both of these experiences were entirely different from one another, but were both extremely beneficial. I got to work with such amazing, bright students and help those who doubted their intelligence realize their true potential. It made me realize I was meant to be a teacher.

I am now a senior in college and just weeks away from student teaching. I have never once doubted this career or my ability to be a good educator. But now, I’m starting to worry. As I sit in my methods class every Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30pm until 2:50pm, I have mini panic attacks. We talk about how we will be student teaching in a few weeks and the thought is no longer exciting. It’s absolutely terrifying.

All these fears arise as I think about it. What if a student asks me a question I do not know the answer to and I look like an idiot? What if I do not have enough “teacher clothes” and I get made fun of for my lack of wardrobe?  What if I do not know what I’m teaching and look like a complete fool? What if I’m actually not cut out to be a teacher? What if I was wrong this whole time and teaching is not meant for me?

As all these thoughts arise, my physical being may appear calm, cool, and collected but in actuality, on the inside, I’m like this –

College has helped me grow as a woman, a student, a writer, and future educator. I have wanted to be a teacher my entire life and while I may have irrational fears I am going to continue to work hard towards being an educator because no matter what I do, student teaching is approaching. This means that adulthood is approaching fast, too. It’s exciting but also completely terrifying. So my best advice to you is: No matter what your major is, what doubts or fears you’re facing – follow your dreams! We may face bumpy roads on our journey and face situations that cause us to doubt ourselves, but that doesn’t mean we should give up all together. In the words of Oprah Winfrey, “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” 

Hello, I'm Jesse Coffey. I am a Secondary English Education major and Communication Studies minor. I am a member of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Kutztown University. I love reading and writing during my spare time. I have the tendency to binge-watch television shows on Netflix in record breaking times. Napping is a personal hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with my dog Bonnie and take way too many pictures of her considering she's prettier than me.