‘Murder Your Employer’ is a Killer Read for True Crime Fans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Rupert Holmes’s latest novel, Murder Your Employer: The McMasters Guide to Homicide, follows three students at the McMaster’s Conservatory for the Applied Arts as they spend their semesters studying homicide. Cliff, Dulcie, and Gemma lead very different lives but share one common goal: “deleting” their employers. 

If the author’s name sounds familiar, it’s because it probably is. Holmes is the brain and voice behind the song “Escape,” aka, “The Pina Colada Song.” 

Anyone who is familiar with “The Pina Colada Song” knows that Holmes is a master of weaving unexpected twists into his work, and Murder Your Employer. This novel will keep readers on their toes, and keep a smile on their faces with dry humor. 

Whereas most thriller protagonists spend a majority of their novels trying to uncover a killer, Cliff, Dulcie, and Gemma have quite the opposite goal. This unorthodox novel premise creates a compelling cast of antiheroes that you can’t help but root for. 

This novel is complete at 400 pages. While Murder Your Employer might not be a quick read, it’s time well spent in the world of McMasters. 
Murder Your Employer is a perfect read for fans of thrillers, true-crime, and logic puzzles.  

Kara Armstrong

Kutztown '25

Kara is a student at Kutztown University majoring in Professional Writing and minoring in Spanish. She likes thrifting, pickles, and the color yellow.