This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Ever since I was in 7th grade, I knew I wanted to be a music teacher. I was involved in music since 3rd grade, first learning the recorder and then picking up the clarinet and piano in 5th grade. My mom would probably say that I was a rather musical child, choosing to belt out lyrics to children’s nursery rhymes in the car and run around excitedly to the Jeopardy theme music. My love grew as I went into high school and I finally decided that I wanted to teach high school instrumental music, preferably concert and marching band. 

As a freshman in college, I continued to work towards my end goal of being a music teacher, excited to take my different technique classes and Overture to Music Education. But, as my time at Kutztown went on, I noticed the passion I had so many years ago was… fading. I began to doubt myself, wondering if this was my correct path and if I would actually enjoy being a teacher. I was internally panicking by the time I hit junior year, contemplating what I was going to do after graduation if I didn’t want to teach. I pushed those feelings away after spending more time in different school districts, trying to convince myself that this is where I belonged. I had taught martial arts for numerous years in grade school and absolutely loved it. I figured at this point I was just scared of the new experiences I was about to face in the upcoming semesters. 

Finally, senior year hit and I was at an all-time low. I was completely unsure with what I was doing with my life, wishing I could be a freshman again and start all over as this mid college crisis finally set in. The first half of my senior year was spent scrambling to figure out what I was doing after graduation, which loomed over my head as I geared up to student teach the following spring. It finally dawned on me a few months into the academic year that I didn’t have to follow my career path I had planned out as a 13 year old. After an open conversation with my mother and speaking to some professors, I officially decided to stay for my master’s in Student Affairs in Higher Education Administration, something I started taking a strong interest in as I became more involved with Student Government and the Admissions Office. I had not intended to grow so intrigued by this area of study, which freshman year me would have probably scoffed at in disbelief. 

To those out there who are completely and utterly confused on what you’re doing with your life — it’s okay to change your mind. It’s okay to switch your major, to change job tracks, to do something completely different than what you originally intended. As a freshman, I thought I was going to find a teaching job after graduation, but now I’m staying at Kutztown to continue my schooling. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would choose a major that wasn’t related to music, but here I am, doing something totally different, and I feel confident about it! It feels like I’m headed in the right direction. 

To reiterate: it’s okay to stop feeling a passion for something you once were so confident in thinking was the right path. It’s okay to switch majors as a senior, or go to graduate school in an area unrelated to your bachelor’s degree. Research has shown that people switch their career path at least 3–4 times in their life. We’re often taught to believe that once you decide in college what your major is, you have to stick with it no matter what. That’s not necessarily the case. You get older, you gain new experiences, and you learn more about yourself, your passions, and your strengths. In the end, do what’s best for you because it’s okay to change your mind. 

Peyton Williams

Kutztown '20

Music education major who loves film score and writing stories of any kind! Ask me about my favorite piano piece and why I love green tea lemonade!