“If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)” by The 1975 is the Timely, 80s Influenced Synth Anthem We Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Highly anticipated by fans for months, English pop rock band The 1975 finally released their song “If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)” on Thursday, April 23. The song is one of the many songs they have released before their fourth full album, Notes on a Conditional Form, comes out on May 22, 2020. 

The song is filled with lyrics that reference modern, electronic romance as lead singer of the group Matty Healy sings, “I see her online all the time / I’m trying not to stare down there / While she talks about her tough time / Girl of your dreams, you know what I mean.” It is a relatable song for younger generations trying to navigate love through dating apps and online media. The 1975 are known for their lyrics about relevant subjects; they often get political as well. One of the other pre-releases titled “Frail State of Mind” delves into the social anxiety that many people face, and the first single for this new era, “People,” discusses the urgency of climate change activism. 

“If You’re Too Shy” is one of their most adventurous songs musically, with an ambiguous, spacey intro that features echoing instrumental pulses and ambiguous opera vocals from an outside female voice. As it progresses, the heavy guitar and drum sounds the band is known for come in; this song has many layers to it and makes each listen more fun. Something that stands out on this song, as well as something that sets it apart from modern pop music in general, is the memorable saxophone parts scattered throughout the song. There’s even a saxophone solo towards the end of the song that makes the song feel retro; it gives the song a disco aesthetic despite the vulnerable millennial and Gen Z lyricism. 

The song has already been deemed as a strong fan favorite, as the group was performing it live on tour before releasing it. Fans on Twitter were begging for the official studio release after many live performances had been uploaded on YouTube. The wait was definitely worth it. It also contrasts greatly with their last pre-release and fifth single, “Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America,” a slow, stripped-back acoustic ballad that discusses vulnerability in admitting feelings of love towards someone you feel like you shouldn’t love.

This song proves that The 1975 get stronger with every release, and their art will continue to be relatable for young people that listen to them. The six songs that have been released from Notes on a Conditional Form have been strong, and have shown a variety of musical genre inspiration; each one sounds different and conveys different messages. This album is definitely one of the most anticipated albums of 2020, and it should be. The group is experimental in their sound and always lends personal criticism to contemporary issues.

Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur