Phone In Hand Coffee Sightglasscoffee
Phone In Hand Coffee Sightglasscoffee
Amy Cho / Spoon

I Can’t Stop Playing “Among Us”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m surprised I can even write this article with all of the time I’ve spent playing Among Us this past week. Apparently the game has been around since 2018, but it’s been gaining a lot more attention recently, especially in the form of memes and YouTubers’ videos.

If you don’t already know, Among Us is an online multiplayer game developed by InnerSloth. The game takes place on a spaceship, and players will take on one of two roles: a crew mate or an imposter. The imposter’s job is to sabotage the ship and kill off the crewmates without getting caught. The crew mate’s job is to complete tasks around the ship without getting killed by the imposter. When a crew mate is killed and someone finds the body, it’s reported, which brings all of the characters together for a vote. You have time to discuss who you might think the imposter is or if you’ve seen anything “sus” (suspicious) to be able to vote them out. If you’re not sure, you can skip that round of voting. Whoever gets the most votes, whether they’re the imposter or not, will be ejected from the ship. It’s tricky to understand at first because there’s so much going on, but it’s a lot of fun once you play a couple of times and catch on to the madness. 

I kind of hated the game at first because I kept being one of the first ones killed, or if I was the imposter , I’d get caught immediately and ejected from the ship. I was so bad at it, it was embarrassing. But after continuing to play it nonstop (seriously, game after game after game), I think I’ve gotten pretty good. Still, I usually end up being a crew mate, and everyone knows being the imposter is so much more exciting. 

A few of my friends played the game and talked about it, but I didn’t download the app until I saw a video of YouTuber jennxpenn playing. Jenn looked like she was having a blast, so I had to try it out. I know some other YouTubers have posted videos of them playing the game, so I guess it’s really picking up in the trends. 

You can play a private game with friends or connect to a random game and play with strangers. Type in your name, select a color, and choose your accessories. Unfortunately you don’t get to decide whether you’re a crew mate or imposter, but it’s an enjoyable game either way. I feel like a detective whenever I suspect someone as the imposter and bring my evidence to the table as to why I think it’s them. If I end up being right about it, I feel like a psychic and am ready to solve crimes in real time. Maybe that’s stupid, I know, but it’s amusing to pretend. 

The app is free on mobile, so give it a try if you haven’t already. And this happens way too often so I have to say, please don’t cheat; it kills the vibe. Happy gaming! 

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur