How to Stay Motivated for your New Year Goal Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Going to the gym can be intimidating, especially if fitness is a new goal for you. Or lets say you’re already in great shape but you want to try weight training. Now you have to try this new thing in front of all the meatheads that have been doing it for years. Scary, I know. Most people set a goal for the new year and give up after the first few weeks because it’s hard moving out of their comfort zones. Please, don’t give up just yet. Hopefully, after reading this article you’ll give the gym another chance. 

One thing to always remember when you are working out is to never compare how you look to how others look. Those other boys and girls have been doing this for longer than you and that’s why they look the way they do. Instead of letting it bring you down, use it as motivation for yourself. When you see someone who looks super healthy and fit, don’t be discouraged. Remind yourself that if you keep at this new work out routine, you will get your dream body too. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that everyone had to start somewhere. A lot of the people at the gym started out being very over-weight. None of those muscle meatheads lifting the heavy weights were born with bulging muscles. They all started where you are now. Don’t believe me? Search for any fitness model and scroll through their page to where they began their journey. They all start out either over weight, under weight, or facing some physical challenge. Use their progress as inspiration for your own and remember that you have to start somewhere. 

The key to looking like you know what you’re doing at the gym is to act like you know what you’re doing. Go in there with your head held high because you are there for a reason. Even the smallest steps in the right direction will move you closer to your goal. If you don’t know how to do something or feel like you’re doing it wrong, ask someone. There are always staff working behind the desk and their job is to help you. I’ve been going to the gym for a few years now, but recently got into weight lifting. I still do not know how to do everything at the gym. When I don’t know how to use a machine or how to work a certain muscle group, I never hesitate to ask someone. Exercising releasing endorphins that make people feel happier, therefore making them more inclined to help others. Also, experienced gym-goers love to teach others how to do what they’re doing. It will boost their ego while getting you closer and more educated on how to achieve your goal. 

The only way to reach your goal is to not give up so remember to remain confident, ask questions, and never compare yourself to others. Good luck getting that healthy body!