This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Kutztown University graced the student body with a job fair this past week. Local businesses took time out of their day to come and talk to us “upcoming adults”. Their efforts are much appreciated considering we all, unfortunately, are headed to the real world. Graduation is fast approaching and we must all get a job.

Considering I am a senior in college and soon will be forced to enter the adult lifestyle, I am an obvious candidate to give you advice. Here are some helpful tips on how to prepare yourself for a job fair. 

Dress to impress 

By the time you’re a senior in college you should have at least one pair of dress pants. Dig them out of your closet, grab a lint roller, and make sure they still fit. (you may find out all of those late night pizza runs have caught up to you). Find a classy button up blouse and sensible shoes. Just remember that you will be standing for at least an hour, so heels might not be your best option. If you decide to take on the challenge though, make sure you can actually walk in them. If you have longer hair, pull it back. There is nothing worse than fussing with it while trying to concentrate on a conversation. 

The Dreaded Resume

As much as making adjustments and proofreading is time consuming, having the perfect resume is key. It is like your personal business card. You are trying to sell yourself. Have it looked over by a friend, professor, your university career center, or anyone with a job. Most likely, the people that can help you have been through what you are currently enduring so don’t be embarrassed when seeking help. So don’t be shy, just ask nicely. 

The Warm Smile

This might sound like a no brainer, however not everyone does it. It is an intricate part of introducing yourself. Smiling says so many things and you don’t even need to talk. What you want it to say is “Hi, I am a nice person, and I would like to talk to you about potential future employment.”

Don’t Forget About the Handshake

If by any chance you have never shook someones hand before, grab a friend and practice now. Practicing a proper greeting with a firm hand shake tells employers that you are there for business. It also shows you are professional, and respectful.

Look Up the Companies Before Hand

You should know the overarching idea of what each company does. The university should have a list of businesses attending the job fair prior to their visit. Check out the ones that interest you and are looking for positions in your field. Have an ‘elevator speech’ prepared. This is where you can tell the recruiters how you would be a great asset to their company. Your speech should consist of how you would apply the things you’ve learned in college to this potential new job. But remember, your conversation should not just be business. Simply having an enjoyable conversation with the recrutiers is a great start. Showing your personality is key.

Lastly a Sprinkle of Confidence

Actually, a whole shower of confidence would be better. You need to remember that you have worked so hard to be at this point in your educational career. Even if you’re an under-classman it’s a great experience, and you should exude confidence as well. We all deserve to be there, so don’t put yourself down!

Good luck and happy job hunting! 

My name is Kaylee Spector and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I have a passion for reading and writing. As a writer for HerCampus I am able to be a part of keeping up with the current affairs of a college woman. I love traveling, eating and talking most of which I will be writing about. I am a Communications major with a minor in writing, pr, and digital media. All of which I find will help me with my content.