This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

We all have a person that is a true inspiration to us. I know it sounds cliché, but my grandma is my biggest inspiration, and she really is the world’s best grandmother. 

She is the glue that holds my family together. She and my grandfather have 7 children, 21 grandchildren, and 1 great-grandchild (and she is special to each and every one of us). 

What is so inspiring to me about my grandmother (my cousins and I call her Mammy) is her faith. 

When I was about three years old, she was diagnosed with leukemia. She was given a ten percent chance of survival. 

She beat it.

And as of this February, she is 19 years cancer free. 

While she was sick, she kept a journal. She shared this journal with her family. Not ONE negative thing was said in this journal. It was full of scripture, words of encouragement, prayers and positivity. Sure, she was scared. But she put all of her faith in Jesus, and that is something she instills in all of her family today. It was her faith that got her through such a difficult time. 

My grandfather was by her side the entire time she was sick; they prayed together constantly.

Around Christmas time, my grandpa (who we call Pop-Pop) went into the emergency room, where the doctors discovered what could have been a possible tumor. When they went to operate to remove it, by some miracle, it was gone. 

Now, my grandfather is experiencing some other health issues. And you can bet Mammy is right by his side, praying. 

I write this article because I think everybody deserves to know the amazing, faithful, strong woman my Mammy is. She is Norwegian, and loves to cook and make us sweet, rich desserts. She is the sweetest, most kind and loving grandmother I aspire to be one day. 

Her faith is such an inspiration.

So maybe you have a sick relative, or friend. Maybe you are just going through a difficult time. I hope my Mammy’s story can inspire you or give you some hope.

I'm Anna, 21, and from Northeastern Pennsylvania. I love The Office (and proud to be from right outside the Scranton area). I'm an avid pizza eater and coffee drinker and your typical gym rat. When I am not busy studying English Education, I enjoy reading, writing, baking, and taking Netflix naps.