Five Shows To Look Out For This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

This semester did not take long to knock the wind out of me. The third week starts on Monday and I already feel a sense of anxiety about school. It is my senior year, which doesn’t feel quite like reality yet, and the pressure is on.

As a result, I tend to relieve my anxiety by indulging in some of my favorite television shows. It may be escapism, but it works. So, if you happen to use escapism as a technique to temporarily relieve anxiety, I’ve come up with a short list of television shows I love that are premiering new seasons soon:

1. Broad City returns for their fourth season on September 13, 2017. This premiere falls at the perfect time to use the new season as a stress reliever at the end of a long day. It’s smart and socially aware, but still absolutely ridiculous and hilarious. 

2. Stranger Things will premiere their much anticipated second season on October 27, 2017. I’m sure that by the time this season premieres, it will be impossible to escape in conversation. Not that I would mind.

3. Portlandia will return in 2018 (supposedly January 5) with their eighth and final season. This one is extremely bittersweet. Portlandia has become one of my ultimate favorite shows over the last couple years, and it’s going to be hard to watch it come to an end. On the other hand, I’m confident that Fred and Carrie will send it out with a bang. Season eight will most likely be their best season yet, and I look forward to the other projects they will create in the future, both separately and together.

4. Riverdale returns for their sophomore season January 26, 2018. I’m as guilty as anyone when it comes to falling for cliffhangers, and Riverdale sure does know how to utilize the cliffhanger. Hopefully, the new season will be as aesthetically pleasing, intriguing, and addicting as the successful first season. (Let’s be honest, I’m mostly just excited to see Jughead)

5. The X-Files season eleven is scheduled to drop in 2018 as well, though it is unclear exactly when. The last revival (a six-episode-long season ten) left us on a bridge, staring up at some bright lights, freshly slapped with the news that our two beloved main characters will soon have to face their biggest challenge yet. The new season will have ten episodes.

As the semester continues, and undoubtedly gains momentum, I hope this list is an insightful escapism guide for anyone with similar taste in television shows.

writer & editor | Pennsylvania native | coffee & fictional characters | fiercely intersectional feminist