Casey Steiner: An inspiring Kutztown Graduate with Big Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Since working for Kutztown University’s Housing and Residence Life program I can say that it honestly made a lasting impact on me that I never ever expected it to. Through housing, I met people very involved in Kutztown’s community who encourage me to branch out and do the same as they have done. I have learned lessons I will never forget and created lifelong relationships with people I would have otherwise never had the opportunity of meeting. When I think of all the progress I have made at Kutztown University I find the start of it all is housing, but specifically my amazing and inspiring boss Cassondra Steiner.

After becoming a member of Casey’s staff I was blown away by her contagiously upbeat attitude and energy. She always pushes us to be our best at all times and has somehow created a tight knit family that loves each other as a family, a bond you don’t ordinarily see in coworkers. She has created a welcoming and inclusive environment for all and has honestly impacted my life so much more than I could ever describe in words. It is because of this I wanted to spotlight Casey and tell her story of how she became the woman she is today, a woman who has touched so many of our lives.

As a senior in high school, Casey’s commitment to attend Kutztown University happened in a way that differs from most. She was accepted into both Bloomsburg and Kutztown. After her boyfriend at the time committed to Bloomsburg, they decided they wanted their own college experience which largely made up Casey’s mind to attend Kutztown. After a semester of keeping to herself and trying to do her own thing she was having a college experience much less rewarding than the one she was imagining. It was around this time that Casey had made up her mind to transfer to Bloomsburg to be with her boyfriend and some other friends that she had made there. It wasn’t until after she was denied acceptance there that her life at Kutztown really started to change.

Casey figured that since she wouldn’t be transferring she might as well try to make Kutztown University the best place it could be. Casey tried out for the cheer team and got a desk receptionist job in one of the dorm buildings on campus. It was through surrounding herself with these different groups of people that she began to develop a strong sense of belonging, one that led her to get involved not only on campus, but in the community of Kutztown as well. This created an even stronger bond between her and the school that lasted throughout the rest of her undergraduate career.

Around graduation after changing her major several times she began exploring student affairs as another career path. It was at this time that Casey learned that the housing office was losing 6 building directors. On a complete whim, she decided to apply even though she had only a year of experience of working in housing as a desk receptionist. Upon getting the job and enrolling in Kutztown University for graduate school as a student affairs major she knew 100% that this is where she needed to be and what she was meant to do with her life.

From here, Casey has begun exploring her own future goals for leadership. One of her goals is to create a leadership program on college campuses, specifically for women or college athletes. She plans it to be a three-phase process. The first being where individuals are able to identify traits about themselves they may have otherwise not known. During the second phase individuals are able to figure out their purpose and function within their community, outside of the university community. In this phase students will learn about sustainable leadership and learn ways to keep their motivation through leadership. The third and final phase focuses on professional development and how students will excel post grad.

Casey attributes her success to her years of interactions and bonds with all those she has come in contact with. Her journey has not been an easy one, but it has made her the women she is today. An understanding, empathetic, and passionate person who has positively impacted not only my life, but all those she surrounds herself with.