Breaking Through the Military: Women Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Last month a picture of The Duchess of Cornwall and her all-female security team took the social media world by storm. The picture featured the Duchess being escorted by four women in black traditional hijabs and abayas. Not only did these women in black wear their traditional clothing, but they were also concealing various weapons on them. These women are expertly trained in martial arts and combat and were hand-picked along with fifty other women to join the UAE presidental guard. These ladies serve as a great example of what women are capable of and break the idea of men being the only effective gender in the field of protection. However, these women are not the first to be utilized as military protection of a political figure, and they certainly won’t be the last.

The most well-known female body guards would be those of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, a Lybian dictator who had an all-female military guard. Although these women were all experienced in hand-to-hand combat and were trained military killers, they are remembered by many for wearing heels and makeup desired by Gaddafi. After his death in 2011, rape and abuse allegations about Gaddafi came to light. The women of his guard all took oaths of chastity which were reportedly later disregarded by Gaddafi and some of his male soldiers.

Despite the various issues within Gaddafi’s guard and the few women in global political security, things are changing. Women are beginning, now more than ever, to be noticed for their abilities. Over the past few years, women around the world have been receiving rights to join their respective militaries and fight in the battlefield. More and more women are getting involved, completing the training and shining within their positions.

In 2014, twenty-two women joined the male-dominated Palestinian Presidential Guard. Although women still only make up roughly three percent of Palenstinian police and other security outlets, they are definitely making moves for change. The women below serve in the field whereas most women in the Palestinian military work administration jobs and have completed extensive physical training.

In August of 2016, Norway became the first NATO country to make national service compulsory for both sexes. The change was not made to force women into battle, but in an attempt to balance gender within the military. However, this isn’t the first-time Norway has spear-headed gender equality. Norway has also made progress with women in business, political involvement and now the military. Keep it up Norway!

Despite the glowing outcomes of integrating women into the military and entrusting them with the lives of important political figures, there needs to be more. The world is starting to shift in favor of granting women more equality in a variety of areas and it isn’t in just the U.S. Although we have much more progress to make, these women are an inspiration and will serve as an example for all that we can do anything.

A Taco Bell-obsessed Delawarean who happens to spend most of her time in Pennsylvania.