AIDS Activist, Peter Staley, Visits Kutztown University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018, the incredibly influential and inspirational AIDS activist, Peter Staley, graced Kutztown University with his presence. As he followed my LGBT literature professor, Dr. Curt Herr, into our humble Lytle classroom, the existent electric feeling of anticipation in the room amplified.

Having studied the AIDS crisis and the activism that was born from it for the beginning half of the semester, many of us were bursting with admiration. Peter Staley, the brave 22-year-old who we watched handcuff himself to the inside of the FDA and climb onto roofs in protest in the documentary How To Survive a Plague, was now casually standing in front of us.

(Photo: Peter Staley being arrested during an ACT UP demonstration in 1989.)

Later, Staley led a longer presentation open to the public. He shared his activism journey with captivating charm and the kind of precision that can only be a result of true trauma. Along with painting a more personal picture of his past, Staley used his visit to supply useful information and advice about participating in activism today.

Staley emphasized the importance of empathy and its role as the driving force for future activism. With his own experiences in the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), he witnessed how empathy can truly create change. He cited empathy as a key element to ACT UP’s success by stating, “America finally witnessed our humanity.” Staley talked about how the community of ACT UP provided a home for him, and their strong sense of community proved to the rest of the country that gays are humans and are worth saving.

Staley said he sees that same sense of community and empathy in younger generations and encourages us to continue our work, get even more involved, and to keep caring. He related the political state of the country to the Reagan days he lived through, but he was quick to remind us that, just like he did, we have the power to push back. We have the power to continue the revolution. As he put it, “People power and love will push back against Trumpism.”

After the presentation, Staley took the time to meet and speak to every person in the small crowd that lingered. The atmosphere in the room was thick with a sense of motivation. The conversations that Staley cracked open surely followed the attendants home and, hopefully, continued even beyond that night.

Thank you to every Kutztown University faculty member that made Staley’s visit possible. Thank you, Peter Staley, for reminding us of our abilities as activists, for providing a refreshing rush of inspiration, and for simply being the kind, genuine person that you are.

writer & editor | Pennsylvania native | coffee & fictional characters | fiercely intersectional feminist