Life > Academics

A freshman’s reflections as her first semester closes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m going to be honest: I had no idea what to expect of my freshman year. I almost didn’t want to go. Granted, the school year isn’t over yet, but as the first semester comes to a close, I want to reflect on what I’ve learned at college so far.

1. All freshmen are in the same boat at the start of the year.

Starting college seemed so overwhelming because I was going to a place where I knew virtually no one, besides two people from my high school. It was my first time making what felt like “new” friends, not people I had spent years with in high school. Sometimes it was easy to forget that hundreds of other freshmen would also be in the same position as me, and that I wasn’t alone in feeling like an outsider.

1. College is not like high school.

This is true in a lot of different ways. The coursework and classes are different and there is a lot more independence on your part to do the work. The thing that fascinated me the most about college though was the atmosphere. High school had times when it felt so cliche and full of cliques because my graduating class consisted of people that had been together for years. At college, there are so many different students from all different backgrounds that these cliques are basically irrelevant. 

1. Try to balance homework and fun.

This is sometimes difficult for me because I tend to procrastinate a lot. However, it’s important to try to balance your work and fun so that you don’t get overwhelmed and fall behind. The last thing anyone wants to do is cram a major assignment for a class into one night of work. You won’t get the best results or a feeling of satisfaction from the work you produce. 

1. Get involved!

For me, getting involved in the marching band was one of the best decisions I made. However, I also got involved in the literary magazine and newspaper on campus as well, to gain some experience with my writing. Joining activities with a lot of like minded people is a great way to make friends across different ages and backgrounds. Getting involved is not just good for future job opportunities but also for your personal growth.

1. It goes by fast.

My first semester flew by. I thought it would drag on for eons, but it is already coming to a close. Because time goes by so fast I think it is important to make the most of your college experience not just in terms of academics. I tried to attend lectures and events that KU hosted if they seemed interesting to me. I’m glad I did, because those moments are time that I can’t get back if I wasted it. 

I consider my first semester of college a success and I can’t wait to come back after a nice, long break. 

Kaitlyn Resline

Kutztown '25

Kaitlyn Resline is a freshman Professional Writing major and a double minor in Spanish and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is a member of the Kutztown University Marching Unit and Shoofly Literary Magazine. In her free time she loves reading, writing, and practicing her instruments.