This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

2022 is the year of new music. Taylor Swift, Louis Tomlinson, Arctic Monkeys, Fletcher, and more are all releasing new albums later this year. While music fans have plenty to look forward to in the coming months, a ton of new songs were released over the summer. Here are a few bangers you may have missed:

1. Lego Blocks by NERIAH- May 27th 

This anthem is dedicated to calling out a boy for “treating girls like toys,” playing with their emotions and then discarding them once he’s bored. NERIAH confronts his toxic behavior, singing, “You chose lego blocks, not choices” and “Boys will just be boys/ Should’ve known you’d be the same.” Loud, proud, and set to an insanely catchy tune, this song is perfect for rocking out with your friends in the car.

2. Uncall It by Devon Cole- June 2nd

In this upbeat song, Cole asks her ex to give her a second chance, ‘uncalling’ it quits. “I don’t want to run/ Don’t want to quit/ Don’t want to look back/ And wonder what if,” she sings during the bridge. The song’s solid drumbeat and catchy lyrics will have you rolling your windows down and singing into the wind.

3. The Floor is Lava!! by LØLØ- June 3rd

Canadian singer-songwriter LØLØ has crafted an absolute pop punk masterpiece. She describes the feeling of being trapped in bed due to mental health struggles, considering leaving her safe space as potentially deadly. “The days keep getting darker/ The doors keep getting farther,” the singer laments, “Can’t move but I wanna/ It’s like the floor is lava.” The song is reminiscent of early 90s and 2000s’ punk that has slowly started coming back into the mainstream, to the benefit of listeners everywhere. 

4. die first by Nessa Barrett- June 24th

The lead single of Barrett’s upcoming studio album, “die first” is absolutely heart-wrenching. She describes her fear of her loved ones dying and having to live without them, offering herself to death instead. The chorus contains a haunting vulnerability, with Barrett singing, “Someone dies or someone gets hurt/ But if one of us dies/ I hope I die first/ ‘Cause I don’t wanna live without you/ I don’t wanna ever learn/ How to fall asleep without you.” She dedicated the song to her late friend Cooper Noriega, one of her best friends who died in June at the age of 19.

5. Devil Doesn’t Bargain (Acoustic) by Alec Benjamin- July 15th

Alec Benjamin has a magical way of weaving stories with his words. Known for his meticulous word choice and incredibly emotional storytelling, Benjamin begs a woman not to go back to her abusive lover. “And just like before, I can see that you’re sure/ You can change him, but I know that you won’t,” he pleads. The acoustic version lets the lyrics rise to the surface, leaving the heartbreaking lyrics to haunt listeners.

Sianna Swavely is a Cinema, Television, and Media Production major, with minors in Professional Writing and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found video editing, playing the piano, or watching Youtube videos while pretending to study.