This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Every year to prepare for St. Patrick’s Day, my dad listens to only Irish music leading up to March 17th. This has been happening for most of my life, and while I was reluctant as a child, I’ve definitely learned to love the tradition. To spread the St. Patrick’s Day spirit, I’m going to share some of me and my dad’s favorite Irish music groups to listen to.

Poor Man’s Gambit

This band was recently added to our playlist. It’s a trio that formed Poor Man’s Gambit in 2015. I found them through a Spotify playlist, and I really enjoy their music. They have songs that are purely instrumental, and songs that have vocals as well. They have songs that tell beautiful stories, but are so soothing to listen to. My favorite song of theirs is “Bee’s Wing” off of their third studio album Land of Sunshine. They’re also going to be on this week’s episode of “The Green Room” through KU presents, so check them out!

The High Kings

One of my favorite groups is The High Kings. It’s a group of four men that perform Irish ballads, and every song is beautiful and very comforting. My favorite song of theirs I’ve heard is their rendition of “Red Is The Rose”. The harmonies are so simple, but so beautiful. Plus, despite being able to play 13 instruments between them, there’s silence behind their voice and it emphasizes the beauty and simplicity of what they’re singing.

Clannad

This group is much more traditional. They also have songs that are in Gaelic, which is a language that I find beautiful to listen to. The melodies they have, both vocally and instrumentally, are haunting and memorable. The songs that I’ve listened to are very slow, but have a beautiful attention to detail regarding harmonies and what should be heard at certain points in the song. My favorite song by them is called “Theme From Harry’s Game”, but you should definitely check out more of their music.

The Dubliners

This group has been creating music together for over 50 years. Their breakthrough single “Seven Drunk Nights” was recorded in 1967, and earned a lot of radio airtime. They’ve been a main part of defining Irish music for most of my life. Their voices are pretty gruff and unedited, which makes the music feel so authentic. Their song “Grace” is something I’ve heard forever, and it’s comforting. (The High Kings also do a beautiful version of it. Check them both out!)

U2

Okay, so they’re not a traditional Irish band like the other groups listed, but my dad can’t listen to Irish music without one of the best Irish rock bands. I don’t have to introduce you to them because they’re a household name, but they deserved a spot on the list.

These are just a few of the bands that my dad and I enjoy around St. Patrick’s Day. Whether you listen to these bands for a whole month, or just an hour on the day, please enjoy and bask in their greatness. I sure do. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Grace Heinlein

Kutztown '23

A music major writes for a blog. That's the joke. You get it?
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur