This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I know quite a few people who are hoping to use winter break to put a dent in their TBR lists. But why waste your precious free time searching for books to read when you could just dive into reading them instead? I’ve compiled a list of some of my personal favorites, designed to maximize your reading time and introduce you to both new and established authors:

1. Let’s Get Lost by Adi Alsaid

Leila is determined to see the northern lights, setting out in her all-red car on a cross-country trip that will cause her to crash into the lives of four other teens. Hudson, Bree, Elliot, and Sonia are all stuck at their personal crossroads, but Leila is just the person to push them towards freedom. And while she assists them in fixing their problems, they may mend something broken within her too.

Let’s Get Lost is a coming-of-age novel with a style very similar to John Green’s novels, particularly Looking For Alaska and Paper Towns. While some may claim that Alsaid uses the manic pixie dream girl trope, I would argue that he attempts to deconstruct it, although far less effectively than Green. With a fun cast of characters and plenty of zany situations, this novel is one that will simultaneously entertain and advise you.

2. Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Catherine dreams of owning her own bakery, though her destiny is to marry the King of Hearts. But when she meets the mysterious joker, Jest, her world is turned upside down. Thrust into a world of intrigue, Cath must defy fate and fight for a better future.

Marissa Meyer is known for her unique takes on classic fairy tales, and Heartless is one of her best by far. I’ve read it over five times, and I never get tired of its narrative, an impressive feat considering I’m not even a fan of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The novel’s moral dilemmas are fascinating, and the varying ways that characters approach the same issue is an interesting demonstration of psychology. 

3. Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Katsa is a Graceling, a person born with an extraordinary gift. However, her gift is for killing, placing her in the unfortunate role of executioner. A run in with Prince Po leads her to question her very nature, and what she discovers about herself and a far-away secret threatens to upend everything.

Katsa is a fun protagonist, and her battle with herself and her gifts is a compelling one. The story’s concept is an interesting one, and the book reads quite quickly despite being rather long. Cashore has created multiple books within the same world, though they follow different protagonists, so fans of Graceling have far more to enjoy. 

4. The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

When rumor spreads of a woman with the ability to tell when one is about to die, the four Gold siblings sneak out to hear their fates. Afraid of what they’ve learned, each sibling goes on a journey to survive their designated dates. 

Each section of the book follows a separate sibling, with the individual stories containing complex storylines and unique characters. The character building is exquisite, and it’s fascinating to watch each sibling unravel in different ways. The question is raised of whether we are defined by fate or by our fear of it, and the answer may not be what you’d originally think.

5. The Young Elites by Marie Lu

When a blood fever strikes the land, young survivors are left with unique scars and abilities, with society believing them to be either monsters or gods. Adelina Amouteru is able to create and manipulate illusions, a power that draws the attention of the Dagger Society, a secret sect led by an exiled prince. As Adelina’s power grows, so does her desire for vengeance, and her fury threatens to destroy them all. 
The first of a trilogy, The Young Elites sets up its sequels perfectly. Lu has a gift for world-building, and her stories are always extremely immersive. The political and moral battles are weighty, and the conflicts are complex enough that you’ll feel invested in characters on all sides of the war.

Sianna Swavely is a Cinema, Television, and Media Production major, with minors in Professional Writing and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found video editing, playing the piano, or watching Youtube videos while pretending to study.