4 Step Drugstore Skincare Regime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Often people who seek clear skin go about it in the wrong way. Usually, those who struggle to acquire it are missing some vital steps in their routine. What they need is a proper skincare regime. Results do not occur thanks to the individual products one uses, but as an outcome of several products in cohesion. Clear skin is possible even without having to make an expensive trip to the dermatologist. To walk down the skincare aisle at the drugstore may seem daunting at first. The experience is especially troublesome if one goes in search of a product that will vanish away all of their skin’s imperfections, because if they do, they are likely to leave empty handed as no product itself has that capability. Clear skin is a result of a combination of products working together.

Step 1: Face Wash

The first and most obvious step is to begin by washing your face. It is important to do so thoroughly in order to remove any leftover makeup as well as dirt and oil, all of which are likely what is clogging your pores. My personal favorite brand of face washes to use is Neutrogena, specifically the one that is a part of their Naturals line.

Step 2: Toner

After you have cleaned your face and patted it dry, you must follow up with a toner. Many are under the impression that toner is an optional step, but I beg to differ. To tone is a continuation of the cleansing process. It rids skin of anything still potentially lingering. Neutrogena offers a toner that is free of alcohol, which was its selling for me as I am a victim of dry skin. An alternative is to use witch hazel in its place. Witch hazel can lessen the appearance of those annoying leftover acne scars that may trouble you. Which is better to use solely depends on the condition of your skin and what kind of results you are looking for.

Step 3: Spot Treatment

As a way to address the problem right at its source, using a spot treatment is the way to go. Something with more of a gel consistency is your best bet so that it goes unseen underneath your moisturizer. The product I have been using lately, and loving, is brought to us by Alba Botanica. This brand offers an invisible treatment gel by the name AcneDote. It claims to have maximum strength at fighting acne, and I can attest to that.  

Step 4: Moisturizer

Regardless of whether you have oily skin, moisturizer is a necessity. In fact, those with oily skin who do not moisture are actually causing for their skin to become even more oily. When dry skin isn’t moisturized, it clogs pores which is the cause for over productive oil glands. Moral of the story, no matter the type of skin you have, always moisturize! My go-to is Eucerin’s Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion. I like this product because it has an SPF of 30 so I can kill two birds with one stone. One thing to keep in mind though, is that this product in particular has a relatively heavy consistency which may not be everyone’s cup of tea. For more of a lightweight feel, check out the Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer.  

I have provided all of the steps necessary in attaining clear skin along with my product recommendations. To be clear, the products that work for me may not work for you, it is a matter of trial and error! Be mindful, too, that clear skin does not happen overnight, but gradually in time. Clear skin is especially likely if you follow this regimen. Remember, this routine is to be performed twice a day, both morning and night for optimal results. Best of luck, and fingers crossed!

Aspiring Journalist | Self-Published Author