WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH: HEROES IN PALESTINE

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! Women’s History Month began on March 1st and will end on March 31st. Women are so important to society, research, academics, etc., and should be honored for their achievements and impacts on the world. This month, it is important to recognize some of the most significant, impactful, and brave women in society, and those women are in Palestine. 

This article will highlight important women in Palestine while bringing issues that have affected women because of Israel’s occupation into conversations regarding Women’s History Month. We need to acknowledge the direct violations of human rights issues occurring in Gaza, specifically the effects of Israel’s decade-long apartheid on women.

Israel’s occupation subjects Palestinian women to a reproductive health crisis. Women in Gaza are using tents meant for shelter as period products. The United Nations Population Fund states that “more than 690,000 thousand women have limited access to menstrual products.” Israel has specifically targeted hospitals in Palestine, meaning that there are no medical resources accessible to civilians. Women who are pregnant in Gaza are forced to have their children without access to a hospital. Women who have children in Gaza are unable to get formula or food for their children because of Israel’s military blocking aid to civilians. Everyone in Gaza is malnourished, even newborn children starve to death at the hands of the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF).

Aside from reproductive health, Palestinian women are degraded and abused by soldiers in the IOF.

Despite these horrific events, journalists fight to spread the truth via various social media platforms. Here are some Palestinian women who have dedicated their lives to spreading the truth about Israel’s occupation of Palestine.

BISAN OWDA

Bisan Owda is a 24-year-old Palestinian woman who is currently in Gaza, documenting her daily experience under Israel’s siege. She shows viewers the reality Palestinians face every day, while maintaining hope and inspiring others to help Palestine in any way they can.

Instagram and TikTok: @wizard_bisan1

PLESTIA ALAQAD

Plestia Alaquad is a Palestinian journalist and poet from Gaza. She uses her platform to raise awareness about the issues occuring in Gaza. Her impact on the narratives of Palestinians is very important. Plestia Alaqad often participates in interviews and conversations about her experiences.

Instagram and TikTok: @byplestia

HIND KHOUDARY

Hind Khoudary is a TV reporter and journalist based in Gaza. She writes many articles about the issues happening in Gaza and highlights these issues on her social media platforms. Hind Khoudary’s articles can be found here.

Instagram: @hindkhoudary

Twitter: @hind_gaza

What can we do?

The American Friends Service Committee has options for things you can do to support Palestine:

Amplify Palestinian voices

Calling/emailing representatives

Attending protests and/or spreading the word about protests nearby

Participating in boycotting major brands that fund the Israeli military, like Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.

In light of Kamala Harris’ recent statement negotiating a 6-week ceasefire in Palestine, we need to push for a permanent ceasefire, and more importantly, for a free Palestine.

Especially in the United States, we have the privilege to ignore the violence in Gaza, which is one that Palestinians do not have. Use your voice and do not look away.

I'm Jayme Pickering, and I am a first year English major and History minor, and I am on the pre-law track at the University of Kansas. I am a member of the HCKU Writing Committee, the KU Marching Jayhawks, the honorary band fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi, and the pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta.