This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There are a few influencers and YouTubers I watch weekly and there’s one person I’d want to meet and be friends with if I ever had the chance. Who would that person be? That would be Emma Chamberlain. 

Who is Emma Chamberlain? 

You’ve probably heard about her on social media and have seen at least a few of her videos. I’ve watched her since high school and still watch her weekly videos today because I believe she’s a vibe. 

If you don’t know who she is, Emma is a 19-year-old YouTuber from San Bruno, California who currently lives and creates videos in L.A. She rose to fame after her video titled “We All Owe the Dollar Store An Apology” went viral in 2017 and began gaining 100,000s of followers each week after she continued to post weekly content. She currently has 9.57 million subscribers on YouTube and also has millions of followers on her other social media platforms on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. 

phone screen with social media apps
Photo by Tracy Le Blanc from Pexels

I continue to watch her because she just has this comedic vibe and chaotic energy. I don’t know how to describe it but besides having fame and a net worth at around $8 million, she’s just like any other teenager. Like many others, she’s very open and honest about what’s going on about her life. Emma is not afraid to talk about personal issues like having a mental breakdown or having bad acne for months. She cusses every few minutes, flips the camera, doesn’t care if she mentions being on her period, and burps in front of the camera like it’s nothing. She’s very honest and open with her audience and that’s one reason I like her. 

Emma, like many teenage girls, is interested in fashion, Tik Tok, and of course, coffee!! Her closet is literally ten times bigger than mine (I wish I had her closet) and she constantly is ordering and thifting clothes. She posts videos about her shopping hauls, daily life, vlogs, and shows how she’s learned the trendy TikTok dances. Like a lot of people, she admits that she has spent hours napping or watching TikTok but one thing I like about her is that she doesn’t care what other people really think of her. Also, she continues to make coffee in the beginning of her videos because that’s part of her daily routine. She loves coffee so much, she even has her own brand! 

Emma has accomplished many things in her life and I’m honestly surprised that a person so young has been able to do so many things. She has her own merchandise, a podcast, planner, and coffee brand! I was able to try out her brand, Chamberlain Coffee, after I received coffee bags for my birthday and it was SO good! If you love coffee, I would definitely give her brand a try! Not only has she been able to build her platform, she’s been given so many opportunities from huge companies and brands. 

coffee, food and laptop spread on bed
Photo by Pexels from Pixabay

She’s been able to travel to Paris for two Louis Vuitton Fashion Shows during Fashion Week in 2018 and 2019 and even got to be on the cover of Cosmopolitan and Allure. She was able to answer questions and be open about what goes on in her daily life. Emma opened up about having an eating disorder growing up and receiving anxiety after spending hours editing her videos. She talked about how she struggled with her image after being in the public eye and said an important thing she doesn’t do on social media is facetune or photoshop her photos. She doesn’t want to be an unedited version of herself. She said, “I refuse to do that because nobody needs to think I look like that…I look the way I look.” I respect her for being able to accept herself and be open about mental health to her fans because she’s not the only person who goes through that. 

Although she rose to fame on YouTube, Emma also has million followers on other social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, and Tik Tok. She posts on Instagram daily about her daily life and posts content she wants to post. She posts pictures of fashion outfits, selfies, and much more. I believe she has a lot of followers and fans because she’s carefree, funny and so reliable. I relate to her so much when she talks about certain topics and her funny comments always get to me. 

Vogue Magazine Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photo by Content Pixie from Unsplash

If you haven’t watched any of her videos, I’d recommend you watch some! I’ve watched her for two years now and still rewatch some of my favorite videos whenever I’m bored. Her posts on social media are always interesting to see and read, especially on Twitter. If you love Twitter, definitely check her out because her tweets may be random, but funny, and I relate to her tweets so much whenever I scroll through my page. 

Emma is a carefree, honest, funny, and reliable teenager who continues to do what she’s passionate about. She posts videos on her channel weekly and continues to entertain her fans with a variety of content. If you haven’t watched her, definitely try it to see if you like her vibe. If there are videos I would recommend you watch first, it would be We Need To Talk (Q&A Video from 2018), ROADTRIP TO VEGAS FT DOLAN TWINS & JAMES CHARLES (Collaboration from 2018), or WHAT MY LIFE IS REALLY LIKE… (2020). 

Emma Chamberlain’s Social Media Platforms down below if you want to check her out! 

YouTube: emma chamberlain

Instagram: emmachamberlain

Twitter: emmachamberlain

TikTok: emmachamberlain

Hi, I'm Wonbin Park. I'm currently a senior studying Journalism and Photography major at the University of Kansas. I have a passion for photography and writing and hope to become a photojournalist in the future! My hobbies include photography, drinking coffee, watching K-Dramas with my friends and family!