This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The company BuzzFeed brings to mind many things for different people, be that interesting articles on celebrities or topics or BuzzFeed YouTube like Unsolved. When I think of BuzzFeed, my mind automatically flashes to the hours and hours I’ve spent doing its quizzes.

Honestly, there is nothing more addicting than finding out what type of bread I am based on what interior design choices I’ll make, or what I should be for Halloween on my favorite dinner foods. I shouldn’t want to see if BuzzFeed quizzes can guess my age or zodiac or favorite color, yet my search history would tell you otherwise. 

BuzzFeed Quizzes are my go-to website when I’m bored in class as well. I’ve done it since high school too. But switching between tabs in the middle of class, one on what ice cream I am based on my favorite TV leads, and the other my important notes, is probably not great learning. I can’t stop though. I’m addicted to its personality quizzes when I can’t focus on class material. 

Why are they so addictive? The quizzes are most likely made by employees who have no other job but to make multiple quizzes a day. I mean, how would they know where I should go for vacation based on the pasta I like? I do appreciate their work though. 

My theory is that it’s uncertainty of what our results will be. Will I get a vacation spot I had in mind, or will I get something so random? It’s that thrill of the unknown, in a fun and entertaining method. My second theory is that it’s the experience of picking choices. Being able to select a range of foods or bathroom designs is so entertaining. I don’t usually just scroll through the internet looking at different living room designs. But on the quizzes, I get to see interesting houses or beautiful arrangements of foods while taking a wacky quiz. 

Even at the top of BuzzFeed’s website page for its quizzes, it says, “We’ve got all the quizzes you love to binge! Come on in and hunker down for the long haul.” If that is not telling of their target audience, then I don’t know what is. They know their quizzes are addicting, and they aren’t afraid to exploit that. So many new quizzes a day are uploaded so you can’t run out of them. Honestly, I have no idea how the creators come up with all the ideas. You can even sign up for the new quizzes to be emailed to you. I luckily haven’t fallen that far down the rabbit hole. 

The best quizzes are during the holidays. My favorites are the Halloween and fall season ones. From spooky movies to Halloween decorations and desserts, it always seems like BuzzFeed Quizzes pops off during that time. Yes, I need to know what type of monster I am based on how I would decorate a haunted house. No matter the time or location, in the middle of lecture or not, I will be taking that quiz. 

At the end of the day, I probably focus too much on BuzzFeed Quizzes than I should. But BuzzFeed knows its audience, and it proceeds to keep on feeding us addicts. Just visiting its website writing this, I was drawn into the quiz about which Eternal I was. Based on the new Marvel movie, which was amazing, the results would show us who we were most like. I couldn’t help taking the quiz. I ended up getting Druig. Honestly, not surprised. I won’t say much in case anyone hasn’t seen the movie yet, but everyone definitely should!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/noahyuppers/its-time-to-find-out-which-eternal-you-truly-are-dwy0ocas9d

Will I ever stop taking BuzzFeed Quizzes? No, probably not. I’m addicted and not afraid to admit it. They are fun and interesting, and the best is taking them with friends to compare results. All I can say is thanks BuzzFeed for distracting me from my studying with your wacky personality quizzes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/quizzes

Hi! My name is Alex Corbin and I'm a sophomore at KU majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience in the Pre-Med track! I'm a huge movie and TV show fan, and my life has been taken over by TikTok. I hope you like reading my articles!