This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As you probably know by now, the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has recently opened a seat up in the Supreme Court and Trump has made it his mission to appoint a new Justice before this year’s election. Justice Ginsburg was known as a strong advocate for gender equality and women’s rights and her death, especially so close to the 2020 election, left many fearful of what Trump’s nomination could mean for the future. On September 26th Trump officially nominated Amy Coney Barrett to fill the vacant seat. So, who is she and what does she stand for?

White Concrete Building
Adrienn / Pexels

Judge Amy Coney Barrett is a federal appellate judge and Notre Dame law professor. She earned her B.A. in English literature from Rhodes College and earned her J.D. from Notre Dame. She has also clerked for Associate Justice Antonin Scalia of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1998 to 1999.

As a Catholic, Amy Coney Barrett has gained the support of religious conservatives for her stance on abortion. In 2006 she signed a statement in a newspaper advertisement opposing “abortion on demand.” The advertisement was published by Right to Life Michiana, an organization claiming to be “one of the oldest continuously active pro-life organizations in the nation.” Though she has previously said that Roe v. Wade is a settled precedent, it is not certain that the Supreme Court will not still try to limit abortion rights through other methods.

Though Coney Barrett has said that she holds the same judicial philosophy as Justice Scalia, there is evidence to assume that she will not agree with all of his stances, as he occasionally tended to agree with more liberal rulings.

People holding signs at a pro-choice rally in Washington D.C
Photo by Maria Oswalt from Unsplash

In regard to health care, Coney Barrett has commented on Chief Justice Robert’s decision to sustain a central provision of the Affordable Care Act in 2012. She was critical of his opinion and felt that he “pushed the Affordable Care Act beyond its plausible meaning to save the statute.” Yet another challenge to the Affordable Care Act will be heard in the Supreme Court merely a week after Election Day, potentially giving Coney Barrett a choice to voice an updated opinion on the issue of health care.

While the fate of Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation is still uncertain, many Republicans have gone back on their 2016 positions that the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice should be held off until after the election in the event of a transition of power. This implies that they are ready to move forward with her confirmation before the election.

Marchers and counter protesters at the March for Life
Photo by Maria Oswalt from Unsplash

Now, more than ever, it is important to educate yourself on the issues that will be of discussion this election season. Even more importantly, register to vote in order to make your voice is heard on November 3rd.

Hi! My name is Arianna Fallahian and I'm a behavioral neuroscience major with a passion for baking with my friends, traveling, and going to concerts!