Which Actor Carries Your Favorite Teen Drama on Their Backs?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Every teen drama has that one character that keeps us watching. That carries the show on their backs. Here’s a list of them and the majority of them are not up for debate. 

Gossip Girl – Blair Waldorf

With her witty one-liners and role as dictator of taste, Blair also had the ability to be beautifully vulnerable in a way that was equally as strong and empowered as her epic takedowns. Leighton Meester’s specific and vulnerable performance as the Upper East Side queen was revolutionary. It was as sophisticated as Blair’s love of Audrey Hepburn and Marie Antoinette. The humanity and vulnerability she brought to the easily one-dimensional character made her hardly a stereotype, but someone the audience didn’t just hate-to-love, but actually adored, and still today even in the age of cancel-culture. (Those episodes “A Thin Line Between Chuck and Nate” and “Summer, Kind Of Wonderful,” “Inglorious Bassterds,” “Unblairable Lightness of Being” and the “I’m A Crazy Bitch Around Here” scene all live in my brain rent-free) There’s never a dull moment when watching Leighton Meester on this often underestimated, impactful show.

Euphoria – Cassie Howard

Sydney Sweeney’s performance as Cassie is so nuanced and realistic that watching Cassie’s scenes sometimes feels like a documentary rather than a scripted series. And this is an actress’s trademark. Even in the moments when we hate what Cassie is doing we still can’t help but praise her acting abilities and at least root for her in hopes that she eventually gets the healthy validation she deserves. Her effortlessly natural delivery makes her a scene-stealer not only in Euphoria but also in White Lotus and Everything Sucks. However, it’s the vulnerability and commitment in her acting choices as Cassie that makes her performance worthwhile.

Sex Education – Aimee Gibbs

I don’t think there is a show that touches on so many difficult, taboo and serious topics with so much love and happiness as Sex Education, and there is no character who presents that more than Aimee Lou Wood’s character. I also don’t think there is a female viewer who doesn’t relate to what Aimee goes through whether it’s her struggle between the popular group and true friends in season 1, her sexual assault in season 2, or recovering from trauma in season 3. She is one of the most universal characters on any teen show, while also being a character that’s overall very optimistic, bubbly and lovable. A true gem!

HBO

The Vampire Diaries – Damon Salvatore & Caroline Forbes

Damon is one of the most complicated characters in the entire Vampire Diaries universe and he disguises this with an undeniable sense of humor that makes him a fan favorite, even though he does do some pretty messed up shit (even for a vampire). Caroline is a character that went from very stereotypical to a total badass. She became the shoulder every character leaned on and a loyal friend. Both Damon and Caroline have two of the best senses of humor on the show, which makes them two standouts from the show along with stand-out performances particularly from Ian Somerhalder in seasons 2 and 7 and Candice King in seasons 2 and 6.

Legacies – Lizzie Saltzman

Lizzie is the only character in the Vampire Diaries spin-off that has both the complexity and the humor that made Damon and Caroline fan favorites. She keeps that aspect of the Vampire Diaries universe alive, which makes Jenny Boyd stand out among the rest.

Gilmore Girls – Paris Geller

Paris Gellar went from one of the most annoying characters ever to a fan favorite that no one saw coming. That’s because of Liza Weil and her perfect comedic timing. Paris said all the things we wish we could and did all the things we wish we could get away with, even if it was pretty absurd through the Paris Geller intense lens.

Genera+ion – Riley 

Chase Sui Wonders’ performance as Riley is heartbreakingly real. The whole series feels more documentary than HBO drama, but it’s Wonders’ subtle performance that makes that feeling even more transformative through the screen, especially in season 1B. If you haven’t seen this show yet, here’s your reason (also, Chester’s character played by Justice Smith is an icon in every sense of the word).

Teen Wolf – Stiles Stilinski

Dylan O’Brien’s scenes as Void Stiles live in my mind rent-free even if I’ve never seen the show and only watched these clips out of context on YouTube.

Stranger Things – Steve Harrington

A much-needed sense of reality and comedy throughout the supernatural intensity of the show, and Joe Keery hits every note of it perfectly every time. It’s the DePaul university comedy training and his effortlessly charming, likable nature. Also, his arc from James Spader bad boy to lovable father is forever iconic. 

The OC – Seth Cohen & Marissa Cooper

Adam Brody’s comedic relief as the fish-out-of-water Newport boy was pitch-perfect. He got the character’s awkwardness, inability to take a hint, and talkative habits perfectly, but also was great at the most emotional scenes nonetheless. Not only was Mischa Barton an actual teenager in season 1 (yes, during that Tijuana episode), but she also helped out immensely with Marissa’s costume design (all that Chanel was all Mischa). Mischa made Marissa more than just a snobby California girl or just another wild teenager, but someone genuine and someone to root for, instead of an easily stereotypical rebel.

Pretty Little Liars – Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin, Mona Vanderwaal & Alison DiLaurentis

It’s not a hard stretch to say that Troian Bellisario was born to play Spencer Hastings. They both have the same overachieving tendencies and sarcasm. However, Troian’s more down-to-Earth attitude made her the perfect Spencer. Her performance was specific and well-thought-out. You could see how much work Troian put into making Spencer as actualized as possible, especially in the scenes after Toby’s (Keegan Allen) betrayal. Ashley Benson’s vulnerability through emotion and humor was unmatched on PLL. She had the best comedic timing out of the main girls and knew how to make the saddest lines sound funny and the funniest lines sound the saddest. True talent. Janel Parrish literally played five different characters Mona; the bubbly popular girl with a Blair Waldorf-like nasty streak, the vengeful villain, the mentally disturbed teen, and the uber-smart ally. What a talent! There is a reason Sasha Pieterse got the role of Alison Dilaurentis when she was only 12. She was equal parts vulnerable and terrifying, and that’s a testament to Sasha herself. Brava!

One Tree Hill – Brooke Davis

Sophia Bush was a standout performer on One Tree Hill, especially during season 3 and the first major time jump of the series. The vulnerability and emotion she brought to Brooke were equally inspiring and devastating. There was a point in seasons 5 and 6 when the majority of scenes Brooke would nearly be in tears, but it didn’t come off as baby-ish, it came off as vulnerable, strong and beautiful and that’s all because of Bush’s empathetic and delicate performance. 

Glee – Santana Lopez

Naya Rivera was the only one who could make the easily polarizing Santana as beloved as she became. Santana was a bad girl, but she was also a loyal friend. She kept the show grounded and was the show’s much-needed reality check with a witty one-liner or blunt monologue (remember that 2-page, 2-minute monologue rant to Kurt in Season 6? No one but Naya Rivera could have delivered that as iconically and effortlessly as she did). That could have been portrayed very differently if it wasn’t for Rivera’s nuance and empathy. Personally, she made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt. She is the only person who could have played this part. She gave an easily antagonistic character so much vulnerability, complexity and depth. Sure, she made Santana a mega bitch, but Santana was never a bitch for no reason. She kept everyone around her honest and authentic (“I keep it real and I’m hilarious” -Santana Lopez), which is what everyone should win in a friend, and Santana was a great friend (“another thing I am, a hardcore friend”). Her bitchiness never stopped her from being there for those she cares about and fighting to protect them no matter what. She was sassy, confident, fierce and fun, but she was also honest, loyal caring and supportive, and encouraged that out of everyone around her. Also, Rivera played Santana’s coming-out journey with so much care and honesty that the storyline is still praised today. Rivera was a trailblazer, due to how she opened so many doors for Afro-Latina and nuanced LGBTQ+ representation with Santana being a bold, well-rounded, outspoken and unapologetic Latina lesbian, a rarity on TV at that time (and somewhat still is). Santana was also a fully-fleshed-out character with traits beyond queerness and sassiness. She has a firm sense of self through her sarcasm, toughness, determination, fierceness and talent. Naya originally auditioned with another character’s lines because Santana didn’t have any and was strictly a recurring/background character until she blew Ryan Murphy and everyone away and became not only a fan-favorite but one of the main characters in the majority of the seasons, and the remained biggest highlight of said seasons from the moment she first uttered a line as Santana. She was the definition of a scene stealer. Also, she had one of the best and most dynamic voices on the show, which coincided with her and her character’s diva-like confidence. Her voice went from powerful to raspy to sexy to soulful to delicate to edgy with utter ease. Through Glee, Rivera made herself and Santana legendary, creating an almost cult-like faction of the Glee fandom strictly dedicated to Santana’s character, and how beloved her character was and still is today.

Outer Banks – Sarah Cameron, Rafe Cameron & J.J. Maybank

Madelyn Cline’s performance in season 2 of Outer Banks was nothing short of amazing. That scene at the end of the “My Druthers” episode lives in my mind rent-free. The same goes for Drew Starkley’s performance as the easily hatable Rafe. Rafe is a horrible person, but Starkey’s portrayal actually makes me question if I should feel bad for him or not. That’s great acting. Especially in the scene when he tries to ask his dad for help after retrieving the gold back and Ward (Charles Esten) says no. Rudy Pankow’s performance in season 1, especially in that hot tub scene, was so heartbreakingly real. All three of these actors are the reason I’m still at the edge of my seat.

Nancy Drew – Nancy Drew and Bess Marvin

Out of all the characters and actors on this list, this is the only lead character, and that’s a testament to Kennedy McMann’s honest and vulnerable performance as the iconic teen sleuth. She brings so much dimension and complexity to this iconic heroine that she almost makes her an anti-heroine at times. Bess is the most relatable and comedic character on the show. She is also the most unapologetic. Maddison Jaizani brings so much heart, humor and vulnerability to a character that could have easily been stuck up and judgmental. This season she has been given even more agency and Jaizani has taken it on effortlessly. Give these girls more credit and binge Nancy Drew on the CW app and HBO Max right now.

Riverdale – Betty Cooper

Is this even a debate? Lili Reinhart brings all the craziness of Riverdale back down to Earth with her intense, emotional, honest, vulnerable and poignant portrayal of Betty Cooper. You can tell how impulsive and truthful she is as an actor by making even her most outlandish lines seem in touch with reality and that’s a testament to her pure talent. She also makes Betty’s flaws the most actualized parts of her, by making her the most human and relatable character on the show. And that’s saying a lot because this is Riverdale, after all.

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!