timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Do When You’re Stuck in a Rut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Last Thursday, I mindlessly fell out of bed and began my morning routine.  I showered, brushed my teeth, and began doing my homework, just like every other morning.  After that, I ate breakfast and left for my morning classes.   Ugh.  Boring, right?  I was bored typing it, and I’m sure you were bored reading it.  Midterms are fast approaching, and with that comes the balancing act of avoiding the monotony of daily life.  

Of course, there isn’t anything inherently bad about having your routine.  In fact, I’m quite the structured routine woman myself, if it isn’t overly obvious already.  The problem comes along when you allow yourself to fall into life without any sort of awareness of what you’re doing, because at that point your daily life just becomes a chore.  And who wants that?  Here are a few ways to avoid becoming like a zombie when doing your daily activities.

• Meditate

Image Credit

I know, I know.  We’re starting off with something that many write off, and trust me, I did too for a long time.  I don’t have time to just sit and think- don’t you know I’m a busy student with sh*t to do?  This is still something I struggle with thinking, because really who really does have time?  It’s like exercising (something else I “never have time” for).  Sure, in theory, I could do it, but I have such little free time that I can’t be bothered.  

But seriously, meditating has made a huge difference in my life.  I’ll admit, I’ve fallen off the train this semester, but it’s something I’ve re-committed to doing.  With this article, I am holding myself accountable for meditating again.  You really only need an extra few minutes, around 5-10.  It’s really simple.  Just sit in a corner of your room with your eyes closed and focus on breathing and clearing your mind.  Afterward, you’ll feel so much more grounded and present.  It might even help you do better in class!

• Clean and re-arrange your dorm or apartment

Image Credit

There’s nothing quite like a clean room to help you focus and regain your awareness of your space.  In addition, a re-arrangement will give you a fresh and new feeling that will combat your rut like nothing else.  It also helps you become more mindful and aware.  Bonus points if you take the time to plan out exactly where everything is going to go before you start moving.  Not only will it save you from physical stress, but I’ve found that planning things sets off the “I’m getting stuff done” censors in my brain with minimal effort.  

• Design a Cute Journal Page

Image Credit

I know it’s my cure-all for everything, but spending a lot of time making a bullet journal page does help you focus on your future and what needs to be done while also giving you a creative outlet.  I know that when I’m stuck in a rut, the top three things that help me out are coloring, organizing, and planning.  This option ticks off all three of those boxes in one full swoop.  In addition to removing your feelings of being stuck, designing a page in your journal will also give more organization.  It’s a win-win situation!