Style > Fashion

Wardrobe Staples For An Effortlessly Chic Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Looking effortlessly chic seems hard without either being a supermodel or living in New York City, and often both go hand-in-hand. Right now, the fashion industry is loving sartorial dressing (dressing elegantly, well-tailored and simple), which means if there’s ever a time to learn how to dress effortlessly chic, it’s now. However, there are a few staple pieces that can help make you look effortlessly chic, even in the Midwest.

1. Trade in a cardigan for a blazer

Blazers help makes you look smart, sophisticated and stylish. So, while a cardigan may be warm and cozy, a blazer can help elevate any look from cute to cool.

1. Jeans…without the rips in them

While distressed denim can often make a look edgy, it doesn’t help the sophistication factor. So, when trying to look chic, go for non-ripped jeans. And as for the skinny jean vs. non-skinny jeans debate, just go for the most flattering on your body type.

1. Simple accessories

The chicest women go simple with accessories. After all, Coco Chanel always said to take off one accessory before leaving the house. I suggest belt and layering dainty necklaces. They are chic and versatile. You can also find a fun signature accessory, whether it’s a headband, neck scarf, hat or bandana. 

Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
  1. Flattering silhouettes

Wearing chic clothing is one thing, but having it look good is something else. It doesn’t matter if the clothes are chic if they don’t look flattering on your body. Find a silhouette that looks good on you and find ways to elevate it with accessories, fabrics, etc. Remember, it’s not your body, it’s the clothes. And if something doesn’t look good on you, it’s not your fault. You’ll find something that looks even better on you soon enough.

1. Day dresses

I personally find dresses the most comfortable thing, especially in hot weather. Day dresses can help make you look chic without totally being overdressed. There are so many options to flatter any body type.

1. Tights

I know what you’re thinking, but tights get a bad rep. They can elevate any outfit from just cute to total badass. I mean, have you watched Gossip Girl? It showed viewers not only how to have fun with headbands, but how to have fun with tights too. And they can help make that summer dress instantly fall-fashion worthy.

1. Monochrome looks

Monochromatic looks can make your outfit model-off-duty instantly. Usually all white, all black, or all nude make for the chicest looks.

HBO

Hope this helps elevate your next chic outing!

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!