photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Top 5 Thanksgiving Side Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

A feast fit for the masses, family arguments and busted buttons are just a few things that often characterize my Thanksgivings. When most people think of Thanksgiving, food is the first thought: turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. However, there is a whole hidden world of side dishes out there that many people are too scared to try out. As a vegetarian, I am a sides-connoisseur because I rely on many different things in order to make a full plate. This upcoming Thanksgiving will be my fourth turkey-less holiday and I’m excited to see all of the tried and true sides (mashed potatoes I’m looking at you) and the new ones that my family members will introduce (see you soon, crispy brussel sprouts). Therefore, here are the top 5 side dishes that make Thanksgiving worthwhile:

• Mashed Potatoes (duh)

Source: Bon Appetit 

You simply cannot have Thanksgiving without the taters. Although I am a fan of the classic mash, I have been wanting to experiment with the manner in which they are prepared. Like most Bon Appetit fans, I have been watching their newest installment of the “Making Perfect” series where they prepare their idealized version of Thanksgiving. They came up with a combination of traditional mashed potatoes with crispy potatoes on top in order to add texture. I’m excited to take a modern twist on the old faithful. 

• Brussel Sprouts

Source: FIVEheartHOME

Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. Before trying brussel sprouts, I was the biggest skeptic of them and avoided them at all costs. However, once you have them prepared correctly and not the sog-fest that is served in the dining halls, you will love them too. Brussels are the perfect side to your heavy Thanksgiving plate because they provide a bright break from the Mount Everest of potatoes and gravy on your plate. They also add another layer of texture to your plate. 

• Corn Casserole

Source: Show Me the Yummy

Corn casserole is the star of Thanksgiving and I will take that to my grave. Unfortunately, my family thinks the same way and it is almost always gone by the time I get there. Corn casserole is the perfect blend of taste and texture that adds the perfect amount of sweetness to your plate. This past summer, my friends and I had a “multicultural night” where we all made a dish from our culture. My friends are all from cool places such as India, Iran, Russia and Ethiopia, so their food was off the chain. Me, a white girl from Nebraska, brought the closest thing to a “cultural delicacy”, corn casserole. Thankfully, all of them thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Rolls 

Source: MyRecipes

Name a better vessel to scrape the scraps off your plate, I’ll wait. Another great side to Thanksgiving is the roll- King’s Hawaiian Rolls to be specific. Although they are incredibly heavy and make you feel like garbage later, rolls are the best for giving you a break in-between food and to tear apart with your hands. Unfortunately at my Thanksgivings, my cousins have managed to make a game out of stealing the rolls out of my hands because they are too lazy to get their own, so I don’t get much. However, I savor what I can get when the opportunity presents itself.

• Stuffing

Source: The Kitchn

Growing up, I was never a fan of stuffing and honestly, just didn’t understand what it was: Was it the actual stuffing of the bird? Is it potatoes? Why is it soggy? On the other hand, my sister was an avid stuffing fan and would often have it year-round, which made my aversion worse. However, a couple years ago I decided to try it and my Thanksgiving experience was forever changed. Although stuffing varies among different people, they are the perfect little savory side that adds a layer of umami to your plate.