Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The 9 Major Reasons I Love Being Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When I first arrived on campus it felt like everyone I met was talking about their S.O.

I was constantly bouncing between “I like being single” versus “I want a boyfriend.”

But, after going out with a few guys here and there, having my heart played with a few times, and the stress that comes with searching for love … something clicked. I came to realize that I love being single in college and there are multiple reasons why. 

So here are the nine major reasons why I love being single in college:

1. Deeper Friendships 

I’ve made so many deep, lasting friendships with the other single girls around me. I’m eternally grateful that I’ve had the time to create the bonds with my friends, from the shopping trips, to getting our nails done together, to the late night sleepovers. It is one of the biggest perks to being single IMO and I can dedicate all my free time into building these lasting friendships. 

1. More Time to Focus on Your Studies

Fewer distractions = better grades. 

Trust me, you’ll thank yourself for paying attention in your classes later in life. 

1. There’s Plenty of Fish in The Sea.. 

Dating multiple people will help shape what you actually want in future relationships and what you don’t want.

So why tie yourself down to one person while you’re still learning what it is that you’re wanting? 

After all, the saying is true, there’s plenty of fish in the sea. 

1. … The Entire Bed, All to Yourself.

This is pretty self explanatory.

But, Starfish for life … just saying. 

1. Save $$$ …

College is expensive. 

You’re having to learn how to budget while paying for housing, classes/textbooks, groceries and more! So you might as well treat yourself with that $50 on that cute new shirt you’ve been eyeing. 

1. You’re Still Figuring Out Who You Are …

Even being in my early 20s I still find that I am learning new things about myself everyday. 

I’m constantly changing and figuring out who I’m meant to be. 

Whether it’s my style, the music I listen to or my hobbies, it is always evolving. 

I grow into the woman I’m becoming more and more everyday. 

Which honestly can be a difficult thing to do when you’re with someone who fell for the person you were two months ago. 

The freedom to explore yourself without consequences is by far a rewarding single experience. 

1. Plans After College …

You don’t want to be tied down to your college town once you’re out of college. After college is when your real adventure begins. Moving abroad, backpacking through Europe, getting a job on Wall Street in NYC … the possibilities are endless. 

1. What My Uber Driver Told Me…

As we were sitting in the back seat of an Uber I remember my friend venting to me about how relationships are difficult these days. 

Our Uber driver, who just so happened to be a father to two college-aged girls like ourselves, offered us his words of wisdom. 

He said, “At this age, what a boy wants is completely different than what a girl wants. The expectations between the sexes are different and (for the majority) of guys have alternative motives when it comes to you.”

And with my Uber Driver’s wise words, 

For my last point … 

1. College Relationships Can Be Messy …

And we don’t have the time for messy relationships when we have a world to conquer.

Hey guys! My name is Emily and I'm a student here at KU! I'm currently majoring in English and minoring in Spanish. A little about me... I love exploring new places and going to different coffee shops around town! During my free time, you will most likely find me hanging out with my friends or doing pilates.