This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As a little girl, I dreamed of being a doctor, an actress, a veterinarian. I knew I could achieve whatever I wanted, never did I think anything would come between that. My mother always pushed me to follow my dreams. She worked hard to make sure I got good grades, got involved and went to college. She worked hard along side my dad to make sure we always had the best clothes, the newest toys and we were always happy. It wasn’t until I went to college I realized just how much my mother truly loved me.

My mom didn’t have the chance to go to college. She started having my siblings and me and since my dad had a decent job, she decided the best thing to do was to stay home and raise us. She would sometimes clean houses to bring in extra money when my dad was laid-off, or find ways to save money so we could keep the house. My mom was always there. When I was sick, when I forgot my jerseys, when I was scared to go to school because of the bullies, my mom was there to stay home with me to make sure I was okay.

I can only distinctly remember having a babysitter twice in my life. No one really wanted to watch the rowdy Taylor gang, so my parents rarely went out. If they tried, we would tag along and it was like the circus was in town wherever we went. I grew up with my mom there, I didn’t spend my childhood with a nanny, I didn’t spend it in daycare raised by strangers, I grew up knowing my mom was there, and would always be.

It wasn’t till I started thinking about college and my career when I saw what my mom gave up. I couldn’t wait to travel the world, interview strangers and cover history in the making. I couldn’t wait to have the time of my life as a journalist. I was ecstatic to know I could do whatever I wanted. And a big part was due to my mom, who reinforced in me everyday that if I worked hard, my dreams could come true.

One day I was interviewing a lady about her career when she said she stopped her career for a while to have kids. She told me it’s a choice every woman makes when she has kids, do you continue your career or raise your kids. I went home in a horrible mood, I don’t want to give up my dreams, but I want a family. I reflected on my life and realized the magnitude of what my mom had done for me.

My mom had given up her dreams for mine. She did whatever it took to make sure my siblings and me achieved those dreams. She gave up the glamor and the money of a career, and traded that in for diapers, bottles and Clorox wipes. Instead of putting her dreams and her life first, she put her children’s first. I realized just how great of a price she paid for me to be where I am.

I was lucky, I knew my mom. I had my lunch packed everyday, a snack waiting for me when I got home and always someone to call if I was in a pickle.

They say sacrifice is the greatest gift you can give to someone. My mom sacrificed whatever life she could have had, for me. She gave up getting new clothes or getting her hair colored, so that I could have the newest American Girl Doll. I was always able to have what I wanted, because she gave up what she wanted.

As a junior in college, all that’s in my mind is my future, my career. It’s all I dream about. I do think about having a family and I’m not sure if I could push aside my dreams for my kids. But I am able to make the decision; I am able to have a bright future, because my mom made sure of it. My mom gave up everything to make sure me and my siblings had the brightest future that we could follow out dreams. She gave the greatest sacrifice so that I could have the best childhood. Now at 60, my mom is finally following her dreams. She has started her own jewelry business and is finally doing what she wants, but if the choice between her business and my future came up, goodbye Jaza. My mom is a huge part of why I am where I am today. I could have all the money, I could have all the glamor, but I could never pay back what she gave up to me. I can only hope that I can be as selflessness and as loving to give my future children the same chance. I just want to thank you Mom, and tell you how truly grateful I am for all you and Dad have done for me. 

Cailey Taylor. Director of Administration for Her Campus KU Journalism and Political Science major at University of Kansas. Staff member of Good Morning KU and KUJH News.