“Summer-Only” Things that Should Last the Whole Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s no secret by now that I am READY for summer. After a brutal winter and an even more brutal semester, the time to relax and enjoy existence again is by far overdue. In the case of the winter, it’s okay that some things don’t last forever: cold temperatures, finals week, snow, etc. But when it comes to the summer, it’s harder to let things go. Here are a few “summer only” things that I wish could last the whole year.

Starbucks S’mores Frappuccino

If you disagree that this isn’t the best drink Starbucks has going for them this season, please exit kindly because you are wrong. The frappe itself is golden, but then, you swirl marshmallow within it and add a whipped marshmallow topping and crushed graham crackers on top…. Just, wow. Starbucks really snapped on that one.

Image credit

The normality of getting ice cream at any time of day during any day of the week

Out of all the things I have listed and probably out of the ones to follow, I think this one hits home the hardest. Personally, I am TIRED of being judged for getting ice cream when it’s 36 degrees. Who cares that the ice cream is probably warmer than my surroundings? That seriously does not matter; it’s always ice cream time, no matter the time of year. But in the summer, I don’t have to defend myself as hard on this because everybody else seems to be catching on that ice cream is superior. All I ask is we carry the the ice cream trend year round. It’s 2019, people. We should be accepting of this by now.

Baseball

OH YES… The greatest sport out there …. BASEBALL. There is nothing that screams “American summer” than watching some baseball on a warm summer night—where the sun doesn’t set until like 9 PM instead of 4:15 I would just like to add—with a handful of sunflower seeds in one hand and a hotdog in the other. Speaking as a younger sister that grew up following my brother around to whatever tournament he had that weekend, I have always held this sport close to my heart. Plus, living so close to the home of the College World Series— Omaha, Nebraska—there was no doubt you could catch me there during the couple of weeks it’s happening. And now, with the discovery of baseball pants, I’m DEFINITELY attending.

Image credit

Being tan

Why do I feel like I am a better person/in a better mood when I’m tan? In the winter, if something good is going on, I’m like ok cool but I’m still pale. But in the summer, if something bad is going on, I’m like ok dang but at least I’m tan. And the thing about winter is unless you get some artificial help from a bed, self-tanning lotion or a spray tan, there’s really nothing you can do about the lack of bronze on your body because it’s so dang cold and the sun rarely shines. Everything’s better when you’re tan.

Warm weather

As if I even need to tell you, I’m not a fan of the cold, and if you are, then I guess I just want to know, like, who hurt you? Seriously, let’s talk.

Being from the Midwest, I dream of laying on the beach at least twice a day. There’s just something about sand between your toes, the sound of ocean waves crashing, and the warm sun kissing your skin that makes you forget about time and think about just being in the moment. Ahh, I wish I was there now.

Image credit

NO SCHOOL

Even though summer is a great time to get a jumpstart on planning for the next school year, I don’t really want to because I believe everything has a time and place. And summer, since I was in preschool and had my first summer break, has NOT been the place nor the time for homework. Summer to me has always been about spending time with my family/my dogs/my friends and doing whatever the h*ck I want, because I can. And I’m not ashamed to want to keep it this way for as long as possible.

There’s no doubt I’ll be doing that and enjoying my summer before school rolls around again in the fall. Also, summer gets bonus points (like it could get any better) for being Leo season!! Where my August babies at? You and me both. Summer ‘19 is going to be great; BRB, gotta go dream about laying on the beach and relax for a bit.

Image credit

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?