Sue’s 2014 Summer Reading List (Something to Look Forward To)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Lately I’ve been getting into some really awesome books that our generation should definitely take an interest in. These are my top picks that I have either already read or have on my list to read and with summer coming up I couldn’t help but share them with everyone. Let the reading begin!

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson follows a Swedish journalist, Mikael Blomkvist, and a young computer hacker, Lisbeth Salander, who both investigate corruption in Swedish society, and discover a bond between themselves as well. Browsebook.com says it’s a “spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue.” I haven’t read this book yet, but it’s right at the top of my list.
  2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a captivating story about Leisel Meminger, a young girl learning to live her life in the heart of Nazi Germany with her new foster parents and their neighbors. The book is narrated by Death, which gives an interesting perspective to the trials and losses that occurred during this time, but also to virtues which made themselves important, like love, education and a passion for doing the right thing.
  3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is next, and is by far my favorite book. During the first year of his high school career Charlie, the main character, meets his best friend Sam and her brother Patrick. Charlie is writing about life and how he sees it after having a rough patch in his childhood, narrating as he would write his book, talking about the harships that all teenagers face during this time in their lives. I absolutely recommend this book to every single person on the planet. To make it even better, it’s a movie, too.
  4. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Pause and take a minute to reread the author… That’s right, J.K. Rowling. Need more persuasion? The book follows the extremely complex networks and connections in the small town of Pagford after the death of Barry Fairbrother, the Parish Counselor, and the town’s election to replace his empty position. The novel does not follow one specific character but instead follows multiple adults as well as teens who are all struggling through the dramatic life which consumes the town of Pagford.
  5. Seriously… I’m Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres finishes off my list, and is currently en route by mail to my house, as it should be to everyone else’s. Comedian, talk show host and actress, Ellen DeGeneres is not only a role model for young people, but also for adults, because she is kind-hearted and believes that “it’s amazing what funny can do.” This book doesn’t have much of a plot to it for me to explain, but it is light material, great for when you’re feeling down, and definitely gives meaning to the significance that humor can make when you need it most.
Spanish major at the University of Kansas & Harry Potter enthusiast, writer, teaching counselor for CLO.