To Stay Or Not To Stay? #QuestionsThatNeedAnswered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As soon as the buzzer rang at the end of that depressing Stanford game, the only question on everyone’s mind was whether or not freshmen Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid would be staying for another year or if they will declare for this year’s NBA draft. There have been numerous false reports and tweets saying that the two have already decided to leave, to which Embiid replies, “Huh?” but the double duo are taking their time deciding their future and that might be a good thing.

Although we are all dying to know if our golden children will be returning for another season, many forget how big of a decision this is for a 19 and 20 year-old to make. While I have trouble deciding whether I want a Strawberry Pop Tart or a Cinnamon Pop Part every morning, they have to decide between college and their dream career, which for Wiggins also involves a $180,000,000 Nike shoe deal.  Although the choice seems like an obvious one, it can also be a scary one. Many have left early and realized, too late, that it was too soon.  

A lot of sports analysts (and haters) are questioning if the two are even “NBA ready,” because those unrealistic “next LeBron” expectations that were set for Wiggins were obviously not met.  Joel Embiid, on the other hand, was a big surprise to those who had never heard of him, but still some are questioning if he’s ready for the next level.

After watching breath-taking blocks and gravity-defying dunks game after game, anyone can see that they are obviously NBA caliber players. However, here’s why they should stay for just one more year!

1.   Unfinished Business

(Wigs in locker room after Stanford loss)

With Embiid out with a back injury during the Big 12 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, we were not at full strength during the most prevalent time of the season. (I’m still having nightmares about that Stanford game). Wigs and JoJo staying another year gives them a redo and gives us another shot at that championship trophy!

2.   Time for Growth

Staying another year gives them time to get better, stronger and wiser about the game of basketball. Wiggins and Embiid both had slow starts this season, but they both blossomed as the season went on: imagine what they could be next year. Also, while most have been playing their whole lives, Embiid has only played basketball for two years. One more year of learning the game before heading to the big league couldn’t hurt.

3.   Education (LOL)

The NBA is nice and all but…who wouldn’t want one more year of boring gen-eds? A lot of student athletes take their free education for granted and forget that basketball doesn’t last forever. A back-up plan is very important.

4.    There’s No Kind of Love Like KU Love

They will probably never play in an atmosphere as electric and exciting as the Fieldhouse again. Who wouldn’t want one more year of this?

And this?

Although we will love and support them no matter what they decide, because once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk, let’s be real…

JoJo…Wiggy…

*Her Campus KU is sad to report that Andrew Wiggins did officially declare for the draft.