Spring Cleaning: A Starting Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s spring, and you know what that means; the ever-so cliché of spring cleaning. But let us be honest, most college students need to deep clean their humble abode.

Plus, with finals coming up, you’ll be glad that you cleaned and organized before you have to basically let everything go.

Getting organized and cleaning can be tough, especially if you don’t know where to start or what you need.

BrightNest

BrightNest has a website and app that give you the step-by-step process for cleaning, maintaining, organizing and DIYing for your home. 

Everything you need to know is concentrated into one website or one app. The membership for both is free and you can also set reminders for when you need to do a specific task.

Need an ultimate spring cleaning checklist?

Supplies

What is spring cleaning without supplies? Nothing, that’s what.

The folks over at BrightNest created an easy-follow list of all the supplies you’ll need and why. These supplies will make you a cleaning assassin, there’s nothing you won’t be able to do; I’m pretty sure Martha Stewart will agree, too.

The Supply List:

1. Microfiber Dust Cloths
  2. Toothbrush
  3. Vinegar
  4. Baking Soda
  5. Cleaning Apron
  6. Broom and dustpan
  7. Mop
  8. Glass cleaner
  9. Spray bottle with your must have all-purpose cleaner
  10. Vacuum

I would also add to the list gloves and lemon. With using different chemicals to clean your house, you might want to protect your skin from all the harsh irritants. Lemon is a great use for cleaning out your garbage disposal and making your place smell fresh.

Areas

If you clean reguarly you’ll notice you tend to stick to visible areas. Make sure that this spring clean is a deep clean. That means, clean out your fridge and get all the dirt and grime out of the way to freshen up your food. Clean your washers (clothes and dish), wash your pillows and clean your coffee pot.

Deep clean your rugs and carpets; you may need to rent or borrow a carpet deep cleaner. This will help illeviate any allergens, pest or dirt that is roaming around.

Anything you haven’t thought about cleaning, you should probably clean. Like your shower curtain for instanc. This  thing takes a beating. Fight mold and mildew by throwing this treausre into the washer on a hot/cold cycle. 

The List:

1. Bedroom
  2. Kitchen
  3. Livingroom
  4. Bathroom
  5. Closets
  6. Laundry area
  7. Carpet/Rugs
  8. Cabinets
  9. Vents
  10. Fans
  11. Electronics

If you have animals, don’t forget to deep clean their items as well, because they too can develop allergies or illnesses from an unkept home.

Organization

Getting organized and staying organized are two different things. I can get organized fairly easily when I’m cleaning, but staying organized is what I have trouble with.

Make sure every item you have has a place; whether it be in storage or for daily use. Clutter doesn’ t make for a clean mind, so put things away or get rid of things that you don’t like or don’t need anymore. 

Get any necessary bins, boxes, racks, or cups that you believe you’ll need to keep anything you have. 

Getting organized can take as much time as you have stuff.

But remembe: Make sure everything has a place. If not think about donating it.

Donate

Have clothes, accessories, trinkets or things you don’t need or want anymore?

Think about donating your items for those in need. Spring cleaning is the perfect time to clean out the closets and give to the community.

Go ahead and show your apartment some much-needed love with these tips!

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

Junior at the University of Kansas, studying Journalism and French.