Snow Day Campus Cutie: Movina Vongxay ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Don’t let her supermodel looks fool you, Movina is, hands down, one of the most humble cuties I’ve had the opportunity to interview. She’s a one-woman show between all the traveling, modeling, working and studying she does! Read on about this busy bee and you’ll get a feel for what I’m talking about.

Name: Movina Vongxay

Twitter: Movinax3

Year in School: Senior

Relationship Status: Taken

Hometown: Shawnee

Activities Outside of Campus: I intern in KC at Cumulus Radio Stations, work with KCWE’s promotion team, I write and edit articles for Lake Quivira Magazine, I am with a modeling agency in KC, and I’m currently taking 18 hours in school! Needless to say, I keep myself pretty busy!

Favorite quote: “Your 20’s are your selfish years. Old enough to make the right decisions and young enough to make the wrong ones. Be selfish with your time – travel, explore, fall in and out of love, be ridiculous and silly, stupid and wild. Be 20-something.”

Turn ons: I’m a sucker for someone I can be silly with and someone who can make me laugh. Life’s too short to be serious all the time!

Turn offs: I’m allergic to cigarette smokers, bad attitudes & big egos. Stay humble & healthy, y’all.

What was the most exciting thing you did over winter break? My family just moved back to Laos and I went to visit for three weeks. They even took me to visit Angkor Wat – the seventh world wonder in Cambodia. It wasn’t my first time going to Laos, but I can definitely say that I was able to appreciate it more now that I’m older. It was such a humbling experience and definitely changed my perspective on life. I want to encourage young people to travel! “I beg young people to travel. If you don’t have a passport, get one. Take a summer, get a backpack and go to Delhi, go to Saigon, go to Bangkok, go to Kenya. Have your mind blown. Eat interesting food. Dig some interesting people. Have an adventure. Be careful. Come back and you’re going to see your country differently, you’re going to see your president differently, no matter who it is. Music, culture, food, water. Your showers will become shorter. You’re going to get a sense of what globalization looks like. It’s not what Tom Friedman writes about; I’m sorry. You’re going to see that global climate change is very real. And that for some people, their day consists of walking 12 miles for four buckets of water. And so there are lessons that you can’t get out of a book that are waiting for you at the other end of that flight. A lot of people—Americans and Europeans—come back and go, ohhhhh. And the light bulb goes on.” – Henry Rollins

What fashion pieces are you most excited to sport this spring? Real question is – what am I not excited to wear? I’m a huge fan of shoes and patterns.

How would you describe your style? I often express myself through my style – kinda quirky and laid back but definitely adventurous and confident. As long as I’m comfortable.

Celebrity Crush: I have more girl crushes than guys honestly. But Jarah Mariano takes the cake!

What would we find you on campus? Probably in the library eating candy, playing some bangers through my headphones, and studying.

Who has been the most influential person in your life and why? My mother and brother. Sounds a little cliche, but family is everything to me. No one in the world inspires me to do better. They are my drive, my ambition, my motivation, and my heart.

What is one thing you couldn’t go without for a day? Music. It just gets you on your good days and even your bad ones. It releases all the negativity and allows you to relax.

What’s your signature drink? Salty watermelon jellyfishes!

So, you’re a senior. Give us some words of wisdom! What’s one thing you urge women NOT to do, or to stop doing? I wish I had loads of advice to give. Although I’m a senior, life always reminds me that I’m still incredibly young. I’m still learning – life is a journey and you figure out the kinks every day. But one thing that I can say is to stay true to yourself, what you love and what drives you. There’s a lot of hustling involved in order to achieve success. Don’t let life’s many obstacles keep you down – the grind is important. And lastly, don’t let your ego get the best of you.

Dream job: Something in the fashion and event planning industry. Fast-paced, exciting and unique.

What is one thing people would never guess about you? I can speak three languages fluently!

Favorite music artists: That’s a tough one…I’m huge on music, I feel like it says a lot about you – only with your fashion sense of course. But I love J. Cole, Wale, K dot & Jhene Aiko.

Favorite food: I’m always eating and cooking so it’s hard to pick a favorite. But spaghetti. I can always eat spaghetti!

Favorite store: I don’t have a favorite store. If I like it, I buy it. Brands are nice, but not a necessity.

What has been the best experience of your college career thus far? My internships! I’ve learned a lot about myself.

What’s your guilty pleasure? French fries dipped in queso.

Advice you would have given to a younger you: Stay focused and people that get in the way of your goals are for the birds!

One thing guys do that really confuses you: Pushing things under the rug, these problems won’t solve themselves! And you aren’t slick, we see what kind of person you really are.

Something you wish more guys would do: Understand that women are a species of their own, stop trying to figure us out – half the time we can’t figure ourselves out!

Most romantic thing a guy has done for you: Wrote me some letters.

Describe your ideal guy in three words: Smart, adventurous and responsible.

Ideal date: Something spontaneous, I like schedules but planning things like that out isn’t fun!

What motivates you? My family and a vision of my future. Can’t get what you want without hustling!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? With a career, the love of my life and my dog

What’s the one thing you HAVE to do before you die? Travel, travel, travel. Give me a backpack and let’s go!

Why do you think you’re a catch? Don’t be shy now. There is someone out there for everyone – anybody can be a catch. Depends on what you’re looking for!