September 2013 Birchbox Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I am by no means a beauty guru. I never wear makeup to class, I don’t even own a hair dryer, and I basically live in t-shirts. But when my roommate introduced me to Birchbox, I somehow couldn’t resist signing up.

Birchbox is a company that sends you beauty samples every month for just $10 (or $110 for a full year).  You get to customize your profile with your personal preferences so they can send you stuff that you want.

Every box comes with a card describing the products they sent you this month, as well as the price of a full size and instructions on how to use everything.

I just received my first box in the mail and thought I would review the products I got. I already can’t wait until October!

Beauty Protector: Shampoo & Conditioner

The first thing I noticed about Beauty Protector was how good it smelled. It was so sweet, almost like vanilla, without being obnoxious about it (if that makes sense). I just used it, and I’m in love. I definitely don’t need the extra volume, but it made my hair so soft. As for being shiny? I’m not really convinced, but I’m not going out of my way to look for shampoos that promise “shine,” anyway.

Dr. Jart+ BB Cream SPF 45+

Okay, I have to admit that I have no idea what BB cream is. Apparently, it’s like makeup with lotion and anti-aging effects? Or something? I wasn’t very impressed with this, honestly. It doesn’t do much that my regular makeup can’t. I already use lotion with sunscreen, so I don’t really worry about sun damage. I don’t think I’ll go track down this or any other BB cream, but that’s just me.

Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips

I’m always on the lookout for lip balm, because I’m constantly picking at my lips (I know, it’s terrible) — so I was ecstatic to see this. It looks and feels like Vaseline (could it just be Vaseline…? Maybe…) but it makes my lips feel so great.

RUFFIAN Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt

I love nail polish more than almost anything else, which is strange since I am terrible at applying it, so I was really happy to get some. This is a red-orange color with some shimmer to it. I was a little disappointed because I have another bottle of nail polish that is the exact same color, but RUFFIAN seems to be better quality. For $10 a bottle, it better be! It’s much more opaque when it first goes on, which means less coats and less streaks.

I’m probably the hardest person to please when it comes to beauty products, and even I was impressed by what I got. If you haven’t already, check out Birchbox.com! Besides the monthly subscription, you can buy products directly from their site. And with the holidays approaching, they also offer gift subscriptions and gift cards.

Journalism student at KU from Texas with a passion for food, pugs and the Internet.