Scandal and AHS Coven Season 3 Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I have been waiting for this moment for what feels like an eternity – the season three premieres of my two favorite shows: Scandal and American Horror Story. If you aren’t familiar with these shows, you should stop everything you’re doing right now and go watch seasons one and two (found on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Instant Video). For those of you who are like me and have been counting down the days, nine for Scandal and 16 for American Horror Story, our break from reality is right around the corner. Until then, here are some juicy details about the new seasons.

When we left Olivia Pope in the season two finale of Scandal, I was totally speechless. I watched the last few minutes in shock as Olivia’s life came crashing down around her. In case you all have forgotten, Olivia’s status as President’s mistress had been leaked to the press, ouch.

On top of that disaster, we find out that her dad is the leader of the super-secret spy group B613 that tried to kill her multiple times throughout the season. The first episode of the season is titled, “It’s Handled.” Olivia and her team of gladiator fixers will work to keep her life together and maybe we will even get to see Olivia and Fitz’s affair progress, without all the drama that is.

With each new season of American Horror Story, a new story line begins revolving around a completely different group of characters than the previous season. This season we will see everything from Salem witches to present day voodoo witches in the swamps of New Orleans. I’m most excited for the return of Jessica Lange whose role will be that of Fiona the VIP of the witching world. Coven, the title of the new season, will have a very strong female cast and will focus a lot on gender and the role of women in power and the objectificaiton of women throughout time. If you can’t wait two more weeks for the season premiere, check out these teaser trailers to fulfill your need for horror.

Don’t forget to watch Scandal on Oct. 3 at 10 p.m. on ABC and American Horror Story Coven on Oct. 9 at 10 p.m. on FX. I know I won’t!

I am a junior Film and Media Studies major at the University of Kansas. In my spare time I love writing screenplays, watching movies, and hanging out with my Husky, Keno.