Romance Books for the Hopeless Romantic

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Yes, Valentine’s Day is almost here. And yes, I will spend it at home reading a book. Here’s a list of some of my favorite romance books as a recommendation for those who are looking to do the same thing this Valentine’s Day.

1. Crier’s War

• Sci-Fi/Fantasy
  • Enemies to Lovers
  • Sapphic

“Impossible love between two girls – one human, one made. A love that could birth a revolution.” 

This book is about two girls from opposite worlds who meet and have all of their previous notions about the world mixed up. Ayla, a human servant dreams of avenging the death of her family by killing the Sovereign’s daughter, Lady Crier, who has her own doubts about marrying her betrothed and her status in society. 

I fell in love with this story and could not put the book down. The world of Rabu is intricate, rich, and exciting. The romance that blossoms between Crier and Ayla is tense, forbidden, and beautiful. If you love enemies-to-lovers romances, this is the perfect book for you. It also has a sequel, Iron Heart!

2. Funny You Should Ask

• Second Chance Romance
  • Celebrity/Journalist

“A restless young journalist with big dreams interviews a Hollywood heartthrob— and, ten years later, it’s clear that their time together meant more than meets the eye.”

This was a book I was unsure about because of its unique style. It is formatted in a past/present storytelling mode where we can see their first encounter and their most recent encounter side by side. I thought it was an interesting look into relationships and deciding what you want. 

3. Normal People

• Right Person Wrong Time
  • On Again Off Again

“At school Connell and Marianne pretend not to know each other. He’s a popular and well-adjusted star of the soccer team while she is lonely, proud and intensely private… a strange and indelible connection grows between the two teenagers—one they are determined to conceal.” 

The book follows Connell and Marianne throughout their high school and college years as they navigate their relationship and outside pressures. The novel delves into class, first love, family, and friendship and how two people can be infinitely drawn to one another. This is one of my all time favorite books. I adore how Sally Rooney creates these two characters and such a strong bond between them. Rooney’s style is not for everyone, but I highly recommend giving this book a chance if you haven’t.

4. Heartstopper

• First Love
  • LGBTQ+ Characters

“Charlie, a highly-strung, openly gay over-thinker, and Nick, a cheerful, soft-hearted rugby player, meet at a British all-boys grammar school. Friendship blooms quickly, but could there be something more?”

Heartstopper is a graphic novel series that follows Nick and Charlie, as well as their friends, throughout high school as they experience first love and the complexities of being queer teenagers. Heartstopper is the kind of series that melts your heart every time you open the book. Nick and Charlie’s relationship is heartwarming and sweet at every chance and it’s easy to fall in love with them and their friends. Heartstopper is on its 5th physical novel right now, but it can be found for free on Webtoon. If you enjoy Heartstopper, Alice Oseman, the writer, has countless other books set in the same universe!

5. Pride and Prejudice

• Enemies to Lovers
  • 1800s Romance

“The romantic clash between the opinionated Elizabeth and her proud beau, Mr. Darcy, is a splendid performance of civilized sparring.”

If you haven’t heard of Pride and Prejudice, then you’re probably living under a rock. Pride and Prejudice is one of the most popular romance novels of all time. It’s witty, funny, and romantic in all the best ways. I have been reading it recently and found a newfound liking for the book. I’ve always loved the 2005 Pride and Prejudice movie, but the book is beautiful in its own way too. The 2005 movie holds pretty close to the original story, so give the book a chance if you are a fan of it or any other remake.

Sophie Sanders is a writer for the Her Campus at University of Kansas chapter. She has been a part of Her Campus KU since August of 2022. Sophie focuses on entertainment when writing for Her Campus KU. She enjoys writing about current films, TV shows and books. Sophie was awarded the Writing Member of the Month by the HCKU writing executives in February. Sophie is a sophomore at the University of Kansas and is double majoring in Film & Media Studies with an emphasis in Production and English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Apart from Her Campus, Sophie is involved in the Film Department at KU. She works as an office assistant in the front office and she is involved with KU film clubs. Sophie enjoys reading, writing creatively, and watching movies in her free time. Some of her favorite books include Six of Crows, Normal People, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. She is a huge fan of the Scream movie franchise. Her favorite Scream is Scream VI. She also loves La La Land and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Sophie enjoys Yoga and board games. Sophie is passionate about issues pertaining to women and lgbtq+ people as well.