Style

Retail Therapy Is Real, but It Has Its Side Effects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There is nothing like online shopping. The endless amount of options. The anticipation of waiting for it to come in the mail. The thrill of opening a package. It can be pretty therapeutic, having something so frivolous brings you so much joy. However, that rabbit hole can be a dangerous road to go down.

Let’s start with the positives. Of course, the options are endless. If you have an idea or inspiration, there is no denying that you’ll be able to find it somewhere. It also does boost your serotonin, and during your depressive states, it can be something to look forward to. 

And while, understandably, anything to give you a boost of serotonin when you are depressed is a good thing, an online shopping addiction can cause some more harm than good. Obviously, it can do some damage to your bank account. Secondly, with many affordable online shops being fast fashion, they are bad for the environment because they can cause overconsumption. And secondly, once you start, it’s very hard to stop. There’s a reason people call it an addiction. 

However, online shopping, especially in this day and age is inevitable. So, here are some tips:

-Look out for sales

-Don’t impulse buy

-Read reviews

-Keep it in your cart, wait a bit, and go back and only buy the things you thought about during the break, not things you didn’t, because that means you don’t really want them

-Wait for excuses aka special occasions.

Hope this helps!

XOXO – A shopaholic

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!