Replace Your Pumpkin Spice Latte With These Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Autumn has arrived in Kansas, and with it, the pumpkin bug has returned. If you’ve walked into a Starbucks (or any coffee shop, for that matter) recently, you have probably noticed the glowing presence of the Pumpkin Spice Latte on the newly-updated menu. I, for one, am not ashamed to admit that I’m a sucker for a good PSL every once in a while, but I’m no stranger to the contrarians who insist on hating them (I see you). Even if you DO like them, it’s entirely possible to get sick of them after a while, and you might feel inclined to switch your order up every once in a while this fall. Regardless of your reason for foregoing the pumpkin spice latte, here are a few autumn-festive alternatives that are just as delicious.

• Salted caramel mocha

This is, hands down, my favorite “fall drink”. This combination of mocha and toffee syrup is topped with a caramel drizzle and sea salt. It’s essentially like drinking a candy bar (but not quite as sickeningly sweet, thanks to the salty kick) and is SEVERELY underrated.

image credit

• Caramel apple spice

This classic seems like a fairly obvious choice. For those of you who might be looking for an alternative to coffee, this delicious apple cider with a caramel and cinnamon twist is the one for you. The best way to describe it is that it tastes like a hug.

Image credit

• Chumpkin

Yes, okay, if you can put your pride aside long enough to say the name of this drink to your barista, this is a solid autumn choice. Chai fans who just might still want a taste of the pumpkin craze without fully jumping in will be satisfied by this good old pumpkin chai. Order it “dirty” if you still need the coffee boost, and they’ll throw in a shot of espresso.

image credit

• Peppermint mocha

Although peppermint is typically more of a winter flavor, it’s never too early. Fun fact: Starbucks actually offers the beloved peppermint mocha all year! If all the pumpkin buzz is killing your autumn spirit, don’t be afraid to fast forward into winter with a peppermint mocha- this is the only way you’ll be able to do that without the chilling temperatures, so take advantage. 

Image credit

Lucie (originally from Tulsa, OK) is a fourth-year journalism major at KU. Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) coffee, new music, life in LFK, and every dog in existence (they are all good dogs). While being involved in a handful of student organizations on campus, HerCampus was her first step into campus involvement and she absolutely loves everything it has to offer. She is ecstatic to be HerCampus KU's content copyeditor.