This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

What is a micro-trend? A micro-trend defined by WRAP Compliance is “one (trend) that quickly rises in popularity and falls even faster.” We have always had micro-trends, but with the arrivals of media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram, we have seen an increase in the number of micro-trends and how quickly they can go out of style. Here are some of the most notable micro-trends

Coconut Girl

Arriving on the scene of the summer of 2021, the coconut girl had become the new VSCO girl. The style was reminiscent of Y2K summertime fashion. These types of fashion would have been seen on the likes of many early Y2K shows like Zoey 101 and H20: Just Add Water.

This style was categorized by the silhouettes of the early 2000s: halter tops, baby tees and hockney dresses. There was an abundance of brightly-colored and bold prints. You can’t mention the coconut girls without talking about the revival of hibiscus print and crocheted tops. These looks were usually topped with Y2K hair accessories and a form of platform flip-flops or jelly shoes.

Twilight Core

The Twilight Saga had and still has a hold on teens around the world. So, when the aesthetic started to resurface early this year, it was no surprise. This trend was often portrayed on TikTok with many creators making content about Bella Swan or Alice Cullen-inspired outfits.

The color palette typically consisted of muted earth tone shades. Some notable clothing pieces for this aesthetic are bootcut jeans, tight-fitting Aeropostale long sleeves and lots of layers.

midnight sun twilight
Courtesy of Samantha Burke / Canva

Candy Jewelry

Inspired by the 90s, candy jewelry came to the scene for the spring of 2021. Candy jewelry is the maximalist dream accessory; the pieces are big, bold and colorful. The accessories can be made of a variety of materials, but most often are produced using plastic. Giving these accessories a low rating when it comes to sustainability.

Cool Jeans

Fun jeans became all the rage last year. They had jeans in all prints, shapes and colors. You could find patchwork jeans, jeans with swirls and any color jeans you would want. They were a fun way to make your outfits unique and I even took part in this micro-trend. Now, the cool jean micro-trend is starting to fade away and soon we will probably be seeing them on the racks of reselling stores.

Coreset Tops

Corset tops became a staple fashion item on TikTok in 2021. It felt like everyone was wearing them, from the cottage core community to the popular TikTok stars. While some people still do rock their corset, many corsets ended up in thrift stores and being thrown away.

While micro-trends might seem fun, there is a huge underlying problem with them. Micro-trends contribute to fast fashion, which as many of us know is extremely problematic. Not only are these trends unsustainable, but many fast fashion items are made in poor working conditions. An alternative to participating in micro-trends is finding your own style where you can create a wardrobe of sustainable pieces.

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.