Realistic New Year’s Resolutions to Stick To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I wish I could be one of those people who sticks to their New Year’s resolutions.  (Wait, do those people even exist? LMK). Every year, I’m like, “I’m going to stop eating dairy, work out 6 times a week, get straight A’s, make my bed every day, travel the world, win the lottery, and become the first female Pope <3 This is MY year!” and then 2 days later I’m like, does getting up before 10am count as working out?

2019 is the year of setting realistic goals.  Goals that we can actually achieve.  Below is a list of 6 New Year’s resolutions that take little effort, but can make a huge difference in your life.

• Take Vitamins Everyday

I’ve talked about this in a previous post, but seriously, add vitamins to your morning routine if you haven’t already.  It takes 10 seconds and it’s cheap. Why wouldn’t you?

• Express Gratitude

Be more appreciative of the people around you.  So easy.

• Don’t Miss More than X Number of Classes This Semester

Let’s be real, it’s unrealistic to think that you won’t skip class a few times this semester.  Look at the syllabus for each class, set a limit for yourself, and do your best to stay on track with attendance.

• Get Enough Sleep Each Night

The task is sleeping.  It’s really hard to mess this one up.  Aim for 6-8 hours minimum if you aren’t getting that much already.

• Call Your Grandparents More Often

It’ll put a smile on their faces to hear from you every once in awhile.  Cut out 10 minutes every few weeks to update them on your life.

• Stretch Everyday

Everyone is always like “I’m going to work out more this year!” and then stops going to the gym after a week.  No one ever talks about stretching, though. Stretching is so good for your body, can take less than 5 minutes, and does not require you to leave your house.

New year, new you.  (For real this time, because you’re actually setting goals that you can achieve!  Go you!) Cheers to 2019.

Sophomore at the University of Kansas