Coca Cola Glass_Bottles
Coca Cola Glass_Bottles
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Poppi and Olipop: A Soda Dupe?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We are in the midst of a fun drink culture, all thanks to TikTok. This is not just a phenomenon thats hits the younger generations but the older ones as well. I think we all remember water tok. For those of us not putting Skittles flavoring and Skinny Syrup in our water, how does the trend affect us? Well, let me introduce you to the world of soda alternatives.

Two companies come to mind when thinking about soda alternatives, Poppi and Olipop. Both brands market their products as healthy versions of soda that target gut health. As a self-proclaimed soda girly, I felt compelled to try these alternatives and give you my honest opinion and if they are Hanna-approved. First on the try list is Olipop.

Olipop

I’m more familiar with Olipop. I remember seeing it on shelves years ago and wanting to try their Minion banana cream soda. On the outside, this brand is more appealing to me. I love their can designs and they seem more like a soda alternative than a health drink. Additionally, as a soda drinker, they have several flavors that mimic my favs, like Doctor Goodwin, Vintage Cola and Classic Rootbeer.

For my taste test, I picked two off the shelves at Walmart for $2.49 each. The flavors I chose were Classic Rootbeer and Orange Squeeze. Right away, I noticed the carbonation was off. While they still have some fizz, do not expect a McDonald’s level carbonation. The flavors also had an aftertaste I can’t pin. I preferred the Classic Rootbeer over the Orange Squeeze. The rootbeer did not taste like A&W, but it did taste like those fancy ones you get at Whole Foods.

Poppi

If it was not for one of my friends being a diehard Poppi fan, I probably wouldn’t have tried it. I think their branding is gorgeous and their social media is peak, but something about their product doesn’t appeal to me. It feels almost unattainable. When I picture a Poppi drinker, I see a gorgeous tan-fit pilates goddess and that’s just not me. Not to mention it’s unavailable at budget stores, like Walmart.

I grabbed Rasberry Rose, Strawberry Lemon and Ginger Lime. I know they have classic flavors, like Doc Pop, but unfortunately, they were sold out at my Target. Right off the bat, I did not like it as a soda alternative. The product did not scream soda, the carbonation was lacking and it tasted too much like apple cider vinegar. I think it is a good health drink, but marketing it as a soda dupe doesn’t hit the mark.

In-Conclusion

Overall, these are good products. I can see the appeal and even liked some of the flavors, but they are not the soda dupes people make them out to be. If you want a soda alternative, I would recommend Olipop over Poppi. However, do not expect it to fill the soda-sized hole in your heart. 

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.