Owala: My Thoughts on the Newest Drinkware Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

From Contigo, S’well, Hydroflask and Stanley, we have gone through tons of drinkware fads throughout the years. Trends like these fluctuate constantly, causing people to give in and drop a pretty penny to be trendy.

From a sociological standpoint, this urge to be trendy is natural. It’s built into our culture and is a way to “fit in” or stay up to date. Essentially, trends truly represent stages in our society, and it’s very interesting to analyze.

water bottle?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Nordstrom

So… who’s next in the lineup?

Drinkware by the brand Owala has been spreading like wildfire lately. I have seen multiple students sporting the trending bottles on campus, owning one myself. I own the viral FreeSip bottle that holds 24 ounces, but there are plenty of great styles to choose from. In this article, I am sharing my review based on experience and highlighting the benefits of the specific bottle I own.

The Functionality

In my opinion, this benefit has to be the most prominent on the list.

This water bottle is different from others on the market because of its dual mouthpiece. Thus, this bottle has both the option to sip from a straw or to drink it like you would a generic plastic bottle. This allows for more versatility in the ways that you use it, making it more functional. I personally love this feature because it is different from any other bottle I’ve owned in the past.

Another perk in this category is the portability of the bottle. When I walk to classes on campus, I am able to fit my 24 ounce bottle perfectly into the cupholder of my backpack. This bottle is not too bulky and not too heavy when filled with your refreshment of choice. If you opt for a larger size of the FreeSip, there is a loop at the top to comfortably carry it around that way.

The bottle also comes with a leak proof feature. I always despised how some of the previous bottles I’ve owned would leak in my backpack, damaging my books and papers along the way. With this benefit, there is no need to worry about this dreadful event. The carry handle also serves as a lock on the water bottle to ensure that the mouthpiece is sealed completely. I have not experienced any unexpected spills with this product, so this leak proof feature lives up to its name.

This water bottle has kept my water cold for long periods of time. I love when my water is ice cold, especially on a hot day. For people who are specific about water temperature like I am, this product is for you. This is a vacuum sealed and stainless steel bottle. Therefore, you can trust it to keep your water cold throughout the day.

The Vibrant Variety

I know I like to add a fun pop of color to my life. When I purchased this product, I was astonished by the many diverse, creative color options offered. There are lots of different color palettes to chose from that may catch your eye. This benefit allows you to find something that caters specifically to your style or personality. Whether it’s pastels or dark shades, Owala offers any color combo you can think of. I chose a tropical color scheme with vibrant pink and orange touches. Whenever I use it, my mood lifts because of the bright, happy colors. If you want something more uniform and basic, they offer lots of sleek solid colors.

Ultimately, these water bottles provide an outlet to show off your style in a subtle way.

The Affordability

I feel as though a quality reusable water bottle is essential to put on the shopping list, but affordability is a big factor to consider. Especially as a college student, I try to manage my money in a smart and sustainable way.

I own both a Stanley and an Owala, so I am able to compare the two from a consumer perspective.

The popular Stanley cups are fairly pricy while the trending Owala I own is sold for a bit less. Also, I feel like Stanley cups are especially hard to find these days because the product has been a leader in the drinkware game for a while now. It was very hard to find at a retail store, so I ordered mine off of the Stanley website and waited a while for the color I wanted. The shipping fees can add up, serving as a disadvantage in my situation. Finding one of the viral cups is like finding a needle in a haystack these days, but trends are changing when it comes to the Owala. This brand and bottle can be found conveniently at your local Target; I quickly found one at Target that I liked for a fairly reasonable price without having to pay for shipping.

Concluding Remarks

I’m excited to watch the growing patterns of this trending fad within society, until the next big thing comes along. Although I love my Stanley cup, I tend to use my Owala bottle more often due to the portability benefits.

Ultimately, I believe that investing in the viral Owala bottle is worth it due to the convenience, price point, fun color options, portability and high quality of the product.

Rylee Brown is a part of the writing team at the Her Campus at KU chapter. She gravitates towards writing about pop culture, psychology, sociology, self-care and college life. Beyond Her Campus, Rylee is a member of the University Dance Company and Swift Society. She is also a part of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority at KU. She is currently a freshman in the honors program and majoring in Business Marketing and Strategic Communications. In her free time, Rylee loves to dance, write, listen to music and hang out with friends. Some of her favorite TV shows include The Office, The Bachelor/Bachelorette and The Summer I Turned Pretty, and one of her favorite movies is La La Land. Her favorite Taylor Swift albums are folklore and reputation. She has also been dancing for over 10 years in various different styles.