New Spooky Shows Just in Time for Halloween

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’re in the mood for some scary vibes, check out these new shows before spooky season is over!

A few weeks ago, on October 12, the new miniseries, The Fall of the House of Usher was released. If you were a fan of The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, you will surely enjoy The Fall of the House of Usher as well. The series is made by the same people who created the haunting shows in addition to Midnight Mass and The Midnight Club. Their new show follows two siblings, who have built a pharmaceutical dynasty, whose family members begin mysteriously dying.  You will recognize many familiar faces from Mike Flanagan’s other works. The series stars Kate Siegel, Carla Gugino, Rahul Kohli, Ruth Codd, and many more.

Everyone’s favorite creepy doll, Chucky, returns in this new slasher comedy series on Peacock. The third season is currently airing on the streaming service. The series is a sequel to Cult of Chucky and follows a teen who happens upon an old Chucky doll and throws his small town into chaos. Stars include Zackary Arthur, Bjorgvin Arnarson, Alyvia Alyn Lind, Brad Dourif, and more. If you enjoy some gore, humor, and lgbt rep, check out Chucky

Goosebumps just came out on Disney+ as well. It is another horror comedy, although with much less gore than Chucky, being rated TV-14. The series follows a group of high schoolers who unleash supernatural forces upon their town and must work together in order to save it. It seems to be another adaptation of the R.L. Stine series. Stars include Justin Long, Zack Morris, Isa Briones, Miles McKenna, Ana Yi Puig, Will Price, and Rachel Harris. If you’re a fan of R.L. Stines’ stories, check out Goosebumps!

An absolute favorite show of mine is American Horror Story. The newest season just began airing on Hulu. This season stars Emma Roberts, Matt Czuchry (Logan from Gilmore Girls), Cara Delevingne, and Kim Kardashian among others. This season is titled Delicate. It follows an actress, Roberts, who is attempting to become pregnant, but soon believes that someone is going to great lengths to stop her from fulfilling her dream. The season is based on the book, Delicate Condition

On that same vein, a new season of American Horror Stories is being released the final week of October. Season 3 episodes include Bestie: “after the loss of her mother, a young woman seeks connection in a mysterious online friend”, Daphne: “an artificial intelligent smart device grows attached to her user”, Tapeworm: “an up-and-coming model will stop at nothing in her hunger for success” and Organ: “a blind date through an online dating app goes very awry.” All sound like very dreadful episodes, but I’m excited to sit down and be scared. 

Sophie Sanders is a writer for the Her Campus at University of Kansas chapter. She has been a part of Her Campus KU since August of 2022. Sophie focuses on entertainment when writing for Her Campus KU. She enjoys writing about current films, TV shows and books. Sophie was awarded the Writing Member of the Month by the HCKU writing executives in February. Sophie is a sophomore at the University of Kansas and is double majoring in Film & Media Studies with an emphasis in Production and English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Apart from Her Campus, Sophie is involved in the Film Department at KU. She works as an office assistant in the front office and she is involved with KU film clubs. Sophie enjoys reading, writing creatively, and watching movies in her free time. Some of her favorite books include Six of Crows, Normal People, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. She is a huge fan of the Scream movie franchise. Her favorite Scream is Scream VI. She also loves La La Land and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Sophie enjoys Yoga and board games. Sophie is passionate about issues pertaining to women and lgbtq+ people as well.