This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald

I think it’s safe to say fall is a fan favorite season, but I do believe it deserves the hype. Fall reminds us how beautiful it is, just like the trees & their leaves, to let things go. It’s the start of the holidays & almost the end of the year (yeah doesn’t make sense to me either, but-). 

Much like we all love a new season, everybody loves a fresh start. 

I personally love taking advantage of the start of a new season to clean out my closet, switch up my routine, decorate my space, and set my intentions accordingly. 

So hello there, today I’m sharing a few of my fall favorites that get me excited for the season. ;)

Harry Styles Wave
Giphy

Music

• I personally adore all music, and it has reached a point where I cannot complete the simplest of tasks without enjoying one of my playlists in the background. (Not sure if this is good? Or bad? But I’m happy so??)
  • Thus, I obviously enjoy an excuse to switch up what I’m listening to, whether it be creating a new playlist for the upcoming months or listening to albums that radiate fall energy.

Taylor Swift folklore
Republic

Fashion

Clothes

Amanda Vick via Unsplash

• With transitioning from summer into fall & the inevitable upcoming winter months, I enjoy taking the opportunity to clean out my closet as I’m switching out my seasonal wardrobe.
  • I typically donate or recycle my clothes, depending on the condition. But if you are looking to make a little extra cash to go toward funding your new fall wardrobe, selling whatever you didn’t wear this summer is super easy with apps like Poshmark, Mercari, Depop, or even your IG stories to be honest?!

get in loser mean girls
Paramount Pictures

• In terms of this season’s trends, both my pinterest board & I are obsessed with the school girl look of pleated skirts, collars peeking out of oversized sweatshirts, and surprisingly sweater vests? 
    • Indeed, Cole Sprouse as Cody Martin walked so we could run this fall 2020 & carry on his legacy.

• Of course the fall staples of layering outfits & jewelry, hoodies, and boots remain elite as well.

Makeup & Accessories

• A fall ~look~ is more than simply the clothes.

• Fall fashion obviously also encompasses makeup, hair, & accessories and I love incorporating deeper fall colors and jewel tones into all of these!!

Skincare morning routine
Kevin Laminto

• For accessories, a few of my favorites right now are the shoulder purse, silky hair scarves & bandanas, headbands, hair clips (been loving all the hair accessories coming back!!), and as with every season lately, bucket hats galore.
  • In terms of makeup, I highly recommend incorporating a warmer eyeshadow palette or lip color into your look! It’s so easy & fun to add to your seasonal routine!!
  • Bottom half of black african woman's lips with pink lipstick
    Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

nail polish flatlay
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Daily Routine

• The impact our environment & daily routine has on us is powerful, so I try to use it to my advantage. Especially with spending a lot of our time inside this semester!!
    • I enjoy incorporating different self-care activities, decorations in my living space, & activities to enjoy *safely right now of course* with friends throughout the season.

Living Space

cozy bedroom interior
Photo by Tatiana Syrikova from Pexels

• An easy way to make your space more cozy is by adding a throw blanket or extra pillows to your bed! 
    • Target’s dollar section has affordable & adorable decorations from placemats to towels to pumpkins.

Emily Veith / Bath & Body Works / Homesick

Activities

• I usually unwind with YouTube or Netflix before bed anyway, so switching out my usual content for something cozier or dare I say *spookier* is an easy switch! :,)
    • ​For YouTube I am guilty of watching so many fall clothing hauls. Oops?
    • Also, I feel like this is often forgotten but with Disney+ now there is unlimited access to the iconic Halloween episodes of Disney Channel shows. The Suite Life of Zack & Cody Halloween episode? Immaculate.
  • A fun activity is both baking & eating fall treats, oh my goodness. And the best news is? You don’t even have to be a chef to bake the “good sugar cookies”.

nestle-toll-house-candles
Nestle Toll House/Canva

• Pumpkin flavored everything food and drink related is a given of course.
  • As for the typical fall activities I enjoy outside with friends & family, I’m sure we’ll be able to get real creative & safe with ways to still participate. ;)

Setting Intentions

• Finally, with a new month or new season, I enjoy setting my intentions in my bullet journal. I think there is a power in writing down what habits you will implement or what you’d like to work on within yourself, because it holds us accountable!

Journal opened to September
Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

• I like to set attainable goals and simple, important intentions.
    • One intention I’m working on right now is being patient & gentle with myself.

• A current goal of mine has been consistently making a gratitude list & reading positive affirmations every night before bed. Both of which I highly recommend!! 

These are just a few of my fall favorites, but I hope my sharing sparked some inspiration or motivation within yourself to change up your routine just a little! Sending you warm wishes for this fall. :,)

Ariana Blow Kiss
Giphy

Hi, I'm Deema! I'm a senior at the University of Kansas majoring in Marketing with a minor in Psychology! I enjoy all things fashion, makeup, mental health, and music related -especially my queen, @arianagrande.