Meet Miss Teen Kansas USA – Katie Taylor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

No glitz or glam, diamond crown or evening gown, Katie Taylor lives the typical life of a University of Kansas freshman, but with the title of Miss Teen Kansas USA. I caught up with the pageant queen during Kansas City Fashion Week and talked about everything, from fashion and modeling to pageants, guilty pleasures and her love for KU.

Major: Business, with aspirations of becoming a dermatologist

Hometown: Olathe

Age: 18

Class: 2016

Relationship Status: Single

What made you fall in love with KU?
I visited a few universities, but none of them had an atmosphere like Kansas’. As nerdy as it may sound, the campus tour is what sold me. I loved every second of it. Oh, and the men’s basketball team wasn’t a bad selling point. The way you feel after a win in Allen Fieldhouse can’t be rivaled.

So now that you are a Jayhawk, where are you most likely to find Miss Teen Kansas USA in Lawrence?
If I am eating lunch on campus, I’ll grab sushi at the Underground — which is my favorite food. When I’m not going from class to class, I am over at Delta Gamma hanging out. Being new to Lawrence, I have yet to find a favorite place downtown, but I am ready to spend an afternoon shopping and hunting for the best sushi in town.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I’m double jointed. I can pop my arms out of their sockets. It grosses people out, but I can twist my arms and legs in really crazy directions!

If you could be any animal, what animal would you be and why?
It’s a toss-up between a dolphin and a cheetah. I would have to pick a cheetah because I love running and that’s what cheetahs are known for.

What is your biggest pet peeve?
When people leave their turn signals on for a long period of time!

What is your dream job?
I’m a business major, but I want to go to med school and become a dermatologist.

Who is your role model?
My mom. Hands down, without a doubt, my mom. I got really close to my mom when she was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago. Being the oldest child, I would take my mom to her appointments and drive her around. Seeing her strength and her cancer free now is what really drives me. My mom is more than my hero and inspiration; a single title wouldn’t do justice.

How do you keep in pageant shape?
I love running, that is always my cardio. I switch my routine up at the rec, but I usually lift or do a few circuit machines. As for diets, I don’t do anything outrageous or strict. I won’t lie, I enjoy carbs, but I consider my healthy eating habits more of a lifestyle than a diet. I couldn’t do a crazy diet; I often give into my guilty pleasure of sushi and the convenience of Jimmy John’s delivery.

Is there a rivalry between you and Miss Teen Missouri?
No! She is actually one of my good friends. We have the same management company and practice together.

Time for the question everyone secretly wants to ask — are pageants anything like what you see on Toddlers and Tiaras?
It’s nothing like Toddlers and Tiaras. There aren’t any crazy, over the top parents because parents aren’t even allowed to watch in the competition area.

It’s Fashion Week, you’re modeling in Kansas City’s fashion week, what is your favorite up and coming trend?
I got to model these great acid washed jeans from N Valentino. I just walked for N Valentino (a store on the plaza) the other night and fell in love with the store. I’ve lived in the Kansas City area for a long time, but this was the first time I had been in their store and now it’s one of my favorite stores.

What does the future hold for you regarding pageants?
I give up my crown to the new Miss Teen Kansas USA in December, but I’ve been entertaining the idea of taking a break for a few years and enjoying college.

Maggie is a rising senior at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She has interned at Parents magazine and Glamour magazine and hopes to land an editing position someday. Maggie founded a health and fitness website called Get Fit Get Life and she is a personal trainer. She doesn't go a day without an iced coffee with a splash of almond milk!