Martin Craig ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Let’s all say “Whaa Gwaan” to this Jamaican hottie! As a senior at KU, Martin Craig has been actively involved in organizations like BSU, ASA, intramural soccer at the Rec Center, and more! For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of meeting this week’s Campus Cutie, you’ll most likely be introduced with those pearly whites and a laugh big enough to brighten even the gloomiest days. While he’s happily taken, he loves meeting new people, so if you see him out, join him out there on the dance floor and introduce yourself! Continue reading below to find out what he’s got hiding behind that big laugh and perfect smile.

Name: Martin Craig

Major: B.A. Psychology

Year in School: Senior

Relationship Status: Taken

Favorite Food: Pineapple

What are your hobbies outside of school? Playing sports, hanging out with friends, and sleeping.

Favorite quote: “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.” — Bob Marley

Describe yourself in three words: Random, kind, and generous

Turn Ons: A girl who works HARD in the gym, intellectual conversation, and clothing style.

Turn Offs: Can’t dance, bad B.O., bad attitude.

What is your favorite part of being in a relationship? The friendship; It’s a two-in-one in my relationship. We’re a couple, but we value our friendship more than anything. Our friendship allows us to be ourselves and comfortable with one another in most, if not all, situations.

If we looked into your car window, what are the first three things we would see? Gatorade bottles, silver coins in the seat, and maybe my soccer shoes.

Leggings or skirt? Are you mad?! Leggings! Leggings! LEGGINGS! It’s a beautiful thing.

How did you “woo” your current girlfriend? Give it to me straight.  It’s funny you ask because it wasn’t me that did the “wooing”.  She was clearly on the offense by setting the tone with her actions.  She invited me to go boxing with her. Needless to say, that was an experience like no other.  Afterwards, she invited me to go out with her and some friends.  One thing led to another and it just happened. Yes, it just happened.

Who has been the most influential person in your life and why: I would have to say my father. He is a true family man. He’s gone through more adversity and hardships than anyone I have known.  His lack of accepting failure and living by the motto “’I can’t’ does not exist” is the reason why I have high standards for myself.  He’s always been there for me.  Our relationship is bittersweet.  We tend to bump heads, but we are also very understanding of each other.  We learn from each other every day and I find that most beneficial as I prepare myself for life after undergrad.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 5 years, I plan to start and manage my own business. It will be a challenge, but I think my education and experiences will propel me to progress and learn day by day.  Aside from that, I want to be a soccer coach.  It’s always been apart of my life and I enjoy everything about the sport. I hope to learn more about the sport from a coaching standpoint in the future.

What motivates you? For me, my motivation is to exceed my expectations. I set goals for myself and strive for newer heights.  I get a thrill out of not knowing what I am capable of.  So I guess you can say the “unknowing” gives me my daily dose euphoria. I want to be able to support my family and myself comfortably.  I plan on having a few kids so I want to be able to give them the happiness my parents gave to me.

Advice you have for incoming freshman: Be very respectful to your teachers. Actually, just be respectful in general.  Just doing that shows how genuine you really are. Be yourself. Popularity is overrated. Kick it with the kids who are determined and more concerned about their grades, not the kids who value “swag” over everything.

Top 5 music artists:

1. Lupe Fiasco
2. Kendrick Lamar
3. Andre 3000
4. Pharrell Williams
5. Nas

What’s your guilty pleasure? Gummy Lifesavers!

What are the first three things you notice about a girl? Eyes, smile, and physique (booty) :)

What are you looking forward to the most this semester?  Doing well in school and hanging out with friends.

What would we find you doing on a Friday night around 8? You would find me blasting music in my apartment. You would also probably find me laughing all night about the stuff my friends and I talk about.

Why do you think you’re a catch? I don’t’ know…It’s not like me to talk about myself. I would have to say that I have a nice smile accompanied with a warming personality. I like to meet new people and I would have to a say that I carry an energetic charisma.