Local Lawrence Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Caffeine is a staple in the everyday life of a college student. Lawrence supplies its student residents with an abundance of coffee shops around town. See what these four shops have to offer and what students are saying about them.

Java Break

Location: 17 E. 7th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044

Description: Java Break brings a retro feel to Downtown with its decor, looking like a scene from “That 70’s Show.” It offers a wide variety of drinks, from lattes to homemade chai, and even Italian sodas. There is a cereal bar with 30 kinds of cereal, more than 20 different toppings and flavored milk to choose from. If you aren’t in the mood for cereal, there is a selection of bakery treats including a frost-it-yourself cupcakes. Java Break is spacious so you can find a seat in a comfy chair or study at a table. It is also open 24 hours so it fits into any college student’s schedule.

Why Choose Java Break: “Java Break is a staple of Lawrence. With 24/7 service, no matter when you study is a good time to check out Java Break’s cereal bar which features an amazing mixture of cereals and toppings, and even their homemade almond milk, served up to-go in a Chinese to-go container. From their Free Speech room, in which everything is a surface for your creativity, to the classic cartoons played on retro TVs, Java Break is the place to be for your study sessions or if you are looking for a unique place to hang out.” -Michael Marcus, junior.

La Prima Tazza

Location: 638 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, KS 66044

Description: La Prima Tazza is a quaint coffee shop in downtown Lawrence with a laid-back atmosphere and inviting staff. It has a unique selection of iced coffees like the Snow Tiger with white chocolate or the Grasshopper with chocolate and mint. It is also a good choice for tea lovers with a selection of more than 20 teas including black, red, green and loose-leaf teas. If you plan to stay awhile, take advantage of the buy one, get one free offer on Tuesdays.

Why Choose La Prima Tazza: “The atmosphere is very relaxing and the coffee is phenomenal. It’s a great place to go and get homework done when you know you have a long night ahead.” – Alyssa Ott, sophomore

Dunn Bros Coffee

Location: 1618 W 23rd Street, Lawrence, KS 66046

Description: Dunn Bros creates a cozy environment with big chairs and a stone fireplace. You can order from a selection of soups and sandwiches in addition to the bakery items if you need a meal while studying. Make sure to take advantage of the daily specials and show your student ID to save five percent. You can also download their app for iPhone or Android to earn rewards and get an instant $3 to spend. Dunn Bros is a good place to avoid crowds if you need to be productive or want to chat with friends. If you’re on-the-go, there’s a drive-thru available as well.

Why Choose Dunn Bros Coffee: “Dunn Bros is my favorite coffee shop in Lawrence because they always serve the best cup of coffee and the atmosphere is very warm and cozy without the corporate feel of other bigger coffee shops.” -Mackenzie Modlish, junior

Alchemy Coffee

Location: 1901 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, KS 66046

Description: The environment at Alchemy Coffee is airy with natural light and bright with yellow walls. There is a personal feel with the handwritten chalk boards displaying their selections. It provides an array of delicious treats like brownies, muffins, cakes and jars of cookies to satisfy any sweet tooth. For the warmer days, there is a nice patio area outside to enjoy a cold brew.

Why Choose Alchemy Coffee: “It’s simply the most unique, personalized and relaxing coffee place in town. These guys know what they’re doing.” -Grecia Rucoba, freshman

Junior majoring in journalism and minoring in business at the University of Kansas. Experience as an entertainment correspondent for the University Daily Kansan and news writer for Her Campus, with an emphasis on lifestyle writing. CO Campus Rep. Dabbles in the art of love letter writing for More Love Letters.lawrencefoodie.wordpress.com