This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Welcome back y’all! It’s finally that time of year again when we are back at the University of Kansas. I hope summer treated you all well and I hope the school year treats you even better. It may have been over 100 degrees and all our bodies were burning up as we walked up the steep hills of the campus the first week. Parking may have been an absolute disaster and I apologize now if I almost hit anyone. Lastly, syllabus week was probably not as glamorous as we wanted it to be, and projects and assignments started to flood in. Trust me, I know how you feel—I had two 100-point projects due the first day. Anyway, that is not the point. The point is we got the first week done with and we made it through alive. It’s smooth sailing from here. At least we can hope that it will be smooth sailing. Last year, I wrote about the do’s and don’ts of freshman year. I was just starting my college journey and wow, let’s just say I learned quite a lot. I recapped that article at the end of the year, but I think it’s time for a refresher. It’s time for some advice for sophomore year.

1. Moving: I did not touch on this at all last year; however, this is important for this year. As a sophomore, many choose to live off campus. I am and it is an experience. You do have the option to live on campus still, however there are pros and cons to both which I will get into later down the road. However, pack light. The dorms are very small, and the off-campus apartments are not much better so just save yourself the hassle and only take what you need and some of what you want. Also, especially for an off-campus apartment, have people help you move in because it makes the process easier and faster. Lastly, for both locations, connect with your roommates. You must live with them for a year, so you guys should become friends rather than never associate with each other.
  2. Focus on your major, not your grades: Okay, this may seem counterintuitive; nevertheless, it is probably the best piece of advice I can give. Usually, sophomore year is when you start getting into your major-oriented classes. My major is journalism and my professor said something profound the other day. She said, “grades don’t matter.” At first, I was taken aback like many of you may be now. However, she went on to explain that job employers won’t decide whether you get a job solely on whether your GPA is a 4.0 or a 2.5. They will care more about your experience in your desired field. They will look at your extracurriculars, internships, portfolio work, etc. so make sure that you take this year and the rest of them to dive deep into those things. Now, this does not permit you to fail your classes. They will still look at your degree and grades so make sure those are taken care of also. Remember, the experience will do wonders for you no matter what field you are going into.
  3. Make Freshman Connections: Do you remember how scary it was coming into freshman year? If you weren’t scared at all, kudos to you because I was terrified. Making freshman friends not only helps you make more friends which is always a plus, but also, helps them feel more welcomed here at KU and they have someone who can teach them the ropes, invite them to games, explore Lawrence, and so much more. Just try it: younger friends sometimes become the best of friends. Make both of your guys’ days and just take a risk!
  4. Figure out your group: Now, to piggyback on that topic, this is your year to figure out your group. During freshman year, you meet a world of new people. People who become your best friends, acquaintances, lovers, enemies, or people you are not too sure about. This is the year to figure all of that out. You do not have to hang out with that group of friends that you had to make freshman year because you had no one else. Start this year fresh. Bring the friends that treated you well back from freshman year, but also, branch out around your new apartment or home, join more clubs, and since you are in your major-oriented classes, make close connections with your classmates because classes will be smaller, and you will be with them for most of your college career. Also, it will be nice that everyone will be able to help each other during the semester. Overall, go make yourself a good and true support group. You won’t regret it.
  5. Do one thing that challenges you that you don’t want to do: I give credit to my boyfriend for this guidance. He gave me the idea. Anyway, I love this piece of advice because it works towards every goal I want you guys to achieve this year. Once you get that one thing done whether it be an assignment, working out, paying a bill, or even making your bed, it sets your day on the right note and makes you more inclined to be productive the rest of the day. This is because you completed that one task that you didn’t want to do. We all have done that. It helps us not procrastinate and it brings us more out of our comfort zone. So that is the biggest piece of advice I can give you today. Get up, go out, and do that one thing that challenges you and that you don’t want to do because that one undertaking may just make your future a little brighter.

I hope you guys have an amazing sophomore year! Or freshman. Or junior. Or senior. Anyone could read this article. I hope this advice finds you well and just remember that no matter what, you are amazing just the way you are, and college will try to tear you down sometimes, but don’t let it. Take this advice to heart and reach for the stars!

Madison Swafford is on the writing team for Her campus at the University of Kansas chapter! She writes mostly opinionated articles dealing with life and culture. Beyond Her Campus, Madison works at the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence where she utilizes her creative mind to help behavioral children and design lessons for them. She is also getting involved in the University Daily Kansan. Madison is a sophomore at the University of Kansas studying multimedia journalism with a minor in psychology. In Madison's free time, she loves to sing and read. She loves trying new things and hanging out with friends. Her competitive nature makes everything a challenge and she enjoys writing creative stories whenever she has the time.