KU Orientation Assistant Series: Jordyn Cox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Jordyn Cox

Year: Senior, Class of 2015

Major: Anthropology and Italian with a minor in theatre

Hometown: Wichita, KS

On-campus Activities: I’ve been getting more involved with the Theatre Department lately, so last semester I was lucky enough to be cast as Hero in University Theatre’s production of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing. I also was sound crew for the production of Over Here! I also work on-campus as an Italian tutor for the AAAC.

Jordyn as Hero in the University Theatre production of Much Ado About Nothing

Off-campus involvement: Thanks to Paul Meier in the Theatre Department and Don Martin with Evolution Audio, I am now a voice actress represented in the Kansas City market by Exposure Talent Inc., so that’s been a really exciting and amazing process! I’ve also spent the past couple of years working for the GameStop here in town.

Why did you want to be an OA? The coolest moment of my Orientation process (all the way back in 2011) was when the whole OA team stood onstage and introduced themselves, and I got to see how even though their backgrounds, activities and interests were all incredibly diverse, they had all come together as one team to represent the University and help acclimate us to life at KU. I realized that I wanted to serve as a campus role model, and try to inspire that same feeling in incoming students.

Why should KU students get involved with activities? At first look, this seems like a huge university. Finding some way to get involved, whether it’s with your department, a club or social organization, or even with an on-campus job, will make this place seem smaller and more like a home. I always like to tell my students that with over 600 registered clubs here on campus, odds are you’ll find someone who is into the exact same things that you like!

What drew you to KU? It was definitely a “love at first sight” kind of thing. The first time I toured the University, I was wowed by how beautiful and unique it is. As I’ve spent more time here, that initial attraction has deepened into a real love for the people, the community and the opportunities that you can only find at the University of Kansas.

What has been the most inspirational part of your KU journey? I hope this doesn’t come across as a cop-out answer, but it’s honestly impossible for me to pick just one! I’ve met so many friends, faculty and staff who have all changed my life for the better. I’ve seen peers grow, succeed, and walk down the hill at commencement. Heck, I’ve even gotten to visit the Chancellor’s residence with dozens of international students! As cheesy as it sounds, I find something inspirational here every day. Whether it’s going on a late night stroll in Marvin Grove or looking out at the campus from the top of The Nest, I always find something amazing about this place.

What would you have liked to know your first week at KU? Well, the first thing would have to have been the bus schedule. I definitely looked like a fool running around and getting on the wrong bus or not understanding just how the bus stops worked. I also wish that I had gone to office hours that first semester. Professors are people too, and they are always happy to chat about anything – you just need to make the effort to go see them!

What is something most people don’t know about you? Even though my Italian is getting pretty good (and I should hope that it would be good after nearly four years of learning it!), I’ve also developed a language-learning addiction and have been trying to teach myself Russian and French on the side. I want to travel the world some day, and what better way to experience a new culture than by sharing a common language?

Jordyn and othe RA’s showing off their “Ask Me” Buttons

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.