KU News: Why you should schedule a pap smear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In case you haven’t heard yet, guidelines have changed for your routine , or at least should-be routine, trip to
the gynecologist.

The new guidelines released earlier this year by the United States Preventative Task Force said women age 21 to 65 should get screened for cervical cancer every three years instead of annually.

Doctors, however, disagree. Gynecologist, Candyce Waitley, at Watkins Memorial Health Center, said guidelines are circumstantial and depend on age. Waitley said college students should still get a pelvic exam annually.

Why you need to go
Waitley said pap smears and pelvic exams should start at age 18 or once a student is sexually active. She said it is important for women to see the gynecologist regularly to check for abnormalities or sexually transmitted diseases.

“Sexually transmitted diseases are very prevalent. We pick those up often at routine exams,” Waitley said.
Waitley said that services provided by gynecologists are extensive. Along with pap smears, pelvic exams, they preform a breast exam, and can teach you how to do self-examinations. Gynecologists can also insert IUD’s, conduct diaphragm fittings, and give basic contraception counseling.

Where to go to get yours
Waitley said a basic office visit at Watkins is included in your student fees. If you are a full-time student, getting a pelvic exam is virtually free. Any additional costs are usually associated with lab tests or getting birth control, and can be billed through the student’s insurance.

Before the exam, Waitley said women should refrain from having unprotected sex for 24 hours and should not treat any symptoms with over-the-counter drugs, because it might interfere with any lab results.

Maggie is a rising senior at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She has interned at Parents magazine and Glamour magazine and hopes to land an editing position someday. Maggie founded a health and fitness website called Get Fit Get Life and she is a personal trainer. She doesn't go a day without an iced coffee with a splash of almond milk!