This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Think Quidditch is only a fictional sport? Think again. Real life quidditch teams have become increasingly popular throughout the world, with many colleges making the sport available for students to join. Keir Rudolph, a sophomore neurobiology major, plays seeker on The University of Kansas quidditch team.

With this being his second year on the team, Keir’s interest in the sport was because quidditch was turned into a real, organized sport, not just a game you read about in the famous Harry Potter series.

“I went to one practice and it was definitely more intense than I thought it would be. I kept going to the practices and eventually began to like it,” Keir said. “The funny thing is that during these practices I didn’t know that I was trying out for the team and was surprised when I found out that I made it.”

As the seeker of KU’s team, Keir’s main goal is to catch the snitch. The snitch being worth 30 points in the game, as opposed to 150 points like in the books. A lot of pressure goes into being the seeker. During close games, teammates depend on the seeker to win and lead their team to victory.

On top of the traveling benefits, Keir’s teammates are a big part of why he enjoys being a member of the KU quidditch team.

“We are a goofy bunch, we always have fun off the pitch and at practice. So far we are the only team to not have a set warm-up system before a game — we kind of just shoot around until the game starts. That is my favorite part,” Keir said. “We are a chill, relaxed team but we still have our ultimate goal and do what we do well. The atmosphere makes the team 10 times better to play for.”

Currently, Keir and his teammates are focusing on the Midwest regional championships, which take place during the fall. During the spring, all their practices are to prepare for the World Cup Championship, which is considered the Quidditch Superbowl. As many as 80 teams come from around the world to compete for the number one title.

Like any sport, balancing practice and school can be stressful, however Keir’s positive attitude keeps him steady and on the right track.

“I sometimes miss practice because of homework, or I will go to practice and pull an all-nighter just to finish all my work. Work hard, play hard right?” Keir said.

Ultimately, Keir would like to graduate from KU with a high GPA, and leave his mark on KU’s campus.

“I don’t want to spend four years in one place and have nobody ever know that I was here,” Keir said. Keir also added that winning the quidditch World Cup would be a plus. After graduation, Keir plans on attending med school and start his journey to becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon.

Junior at the University of Kansas with an addiction to coffee, warm weather, and Urban Outfitters. facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cecilia.h.cho twitter: https://twitter.com/ceciliacho92 instagram: cecilia__cho92